Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #1

Fixing the aperture in place

Hi Everyone!

I do apologise if I have missed something, searched the forums for aperture lever/pin topics but couldn't find one regarding this.
The case is that I have a K-50 and a manual teleconverter which has the aperture lever linked through and can operate the blades from there. All fine until this point since there is no link between the lens and the body, pressing the shutter will make the aperture close totally down (understandable, nature of the mechanism). Now the question is, is it okay fix the lever in place on the converter to hold it wide open when the shutter is pressed or would it damage anything? Like forcing the lever down and since it got stick to wide open state something breaks. I have an M lens which obviously works with this combo since it has an aperture ring, but I am a bit eager to try it with 200mm.

Thanks in advance!

07-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's just the tension on a spring that pulls the iris closed on the lens or TC so blocking the lever into the open position shouldn't damage the aperture control lever in the camera. Unless whatever you use to block the lever on the lens or TC interferes with the lever in the camera.

Why do you need to block the lever on the 200mm? Why not set the aperture to wide open? If it is a fixed aperture lens the lever operating has no effect so why change it?
07-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's just the tension on a spring that pulls the iris closed on the lens or TC so blocking the lever into the open position shouldn't damage the aperture control lever in the camera. Unless whatever you use to block the lever on the lens or TC interferes with the lever in the camera.

Why do you need to block the lever on the 200mm? Why not set the aperture to wide open? If it is a fixed aperture lens the lever operating has no effect so why change it?
Should have stated that the 200mm is the DA L 50-200 in this case sorry, which is not a fixed aperture lens and has no aperture ring. The reason I would want to block it (was just an idea) is when I press the shutter the the aperture goes all the way to F/32 (that's the smallest @200mm, and with the manual TC, the aperture setting on the camera states F-- ) and I get completely black images. Planning on a manual 200/300mm so it is more of a theoretical question, but was interested to try in case it is possible way.
07-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The same problem with reversing lenses without an aperture ring. Yes, you should be able to block the lever on the lens or TC to just about any position and then use Av or green button metering. You just have to make sure whatever you block it with doesn't fall into the lens or camera. The better solution would be to use a Ka or Kaf TC and then use the eDial to set the aperture.

07-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your time and response!

Thought about a whole ring that would go inside the TC, so that would be quite stable. However probably getting a decent K/M 200mm lens would be safer and more suitable solution. Thanks anyway again!