Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 01:53 AM   #1

Pentax K-X cannot get the camera to power on, using Eneloops 2450mah

Hi! I recently was handed down a K-X without the batteries or manual. I have been using Canon EOS 550 d, so was kind of out of sorts as far as the battery situation is concerned, ordered and installed brand new 2450-2550 mAh Eneloop batteries, but the power does not come on. Maybe I am missing something? What batteries do work on K-X?

07-08-2016, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-x was a royal PIA with rechargeable batteries of all kinds prior to updating the firmware.

I would suggest buying a set of lithium (not alkaline!) AA batteries and testing the camera to make sure all is well with the beast. In the menu, select Ni-MH batteries as the default, then try your freshly-charged Eneloops again. I have installed the last version of the K-x firmware, and most of the difficulty with batteries has been eliminated.

Here's the link with the update details. Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

If you do update the firmware, make sure to follow the details to the letter.

Best of luck to you!
07-08-2016, 04:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
make sure the memory card is locked and you have the latest firmware
07-08-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even just throw a set of fresh alkalines in to see if the camera will fire up and avoid buying lithiums you may not need.

If not starting on other batteries I suggest carefully cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment. It only takes one contact to oxidize to create excessive resistance.

Oh and check again that the batteries are inserted in the correct orientation. Easy error to make even by those of us familiar with our camera gear.

Also, while the Eneloops may be a new purchase, they could be quite old if they had been lying about as unsold stock and might just have run flat. Although they hold charge well, they don't hold it forever. I suggest charging the Eneloops before testing again. The charger will likely also tell you if one of them happens to be a dud and won't take a charge properly.

I use Eneloops extensively on my K-x with good results so they shouldn't in themselves be a problem, subject to the prior paragraph.

Last edited by southlander; 07-08-2016 at 04:56 AM.
07-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
Pentax K-X batteries

Thank you all, cleaned the contacts, dbl charged the eneloops, and tried to power on and few times before the lights came on..looks like the power on/off switch maybe a bit glitchy, but at least was able to take a few shots before battery low signs, I guess i'll have to update the firmware..Tks again.