Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Fringing on DA* 60-250 F4

Hi everyone,

First post but I've been reading so much on pentaxforums already ! Awesome website.

Getting to the point, I just received a new copy of my DA* 60-250 (old one back to pentax for guarantee after Focus system stopped working - either manual or auto, it seemed stuck).
I have been using it for almost a year and I just love that lense, my main one I'd say.

But I'm a bit concerned with fringing on the new copy I received today, I did not notice that much on the old copy, and I'm just wondering if it is acceptable or if there is a problem with it.
So what do you guys think about it ? Too much, or normal ?

Thanks for your advice.

Full : ScreenShot070816at0810PM - HostingPics.net - H
crop : ScreenShot070816at0759PM - HostingPics.net - H

07-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #2

I'd say on that scene, shooting at Sun, a lot of branches, not bad, actually. That much can be fixed if shot in raw with post processing. So, kind of normal. Try shooting something avoiding pointing into strong/direct sunlight.
07-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it is normal. this is a very extreme condition for a lens: strong backlit, high contrast edge, out of focus area, crop from corner.
07-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That picture could be the poster child for purple fringing. As noted already, quite extreme conditions. And I would expect to see fringing under those conditions. I do not think this result is atypical of what I see with this lens. Easily fixed in post.

07-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by azath Quote
Hi everyone,

First post but I've been reading so much on pentaxforums already ! Awesome website.

Getting to the point, I just received a new copy of my DA* 60-250 (old one back to pentax for guarantee after Focus system stopped working - either manual or auto, it seemed stuck).
I have been using it for almost a year and I just love that lense, my main one I'd say.

But I'm a bit concerned with fringing on the new copy I received today, I did not notice that much on the old copy, and I'm just wondering if it is acceptable or if there is a problem with it.

Thanks for your advice.

Your linked page hosts malware... People be aware!
07-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Thanks for the quick responses !

I'll come back after some more daily usage, and less "extreme conditions" pictures then.
I've been checking on pictures made with the old copy of the lense, and never found that much fringing with similar conditions, but let's play with it a bit more ;-).

RAART: sorry about that, just picked the first hosting website...
07-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No evidence of that -- why do you say so? (It may be you that has the malware.)

07-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just recently took delivery of the 60-250 also. I notice that in very, very high contrast situations, wide open, there is some fringing - however, I'd expect this from most lenses, and on my copy it is pretty much gone by f/5.6. As others have said, your example above is an extreme situation. Unless you're seeing it in less challenging scenarios too, I wouldn't be concerned
07-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No evidence of that
I actually also experienced a strange window popped out, and I could not close it. finally the Safari shut off and restarted. It could be something else, I am not sure. But this was the only unusual page I visited before that happened.
07-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I actually also experienced a strange window popped out, and I could not close it. finally the Safari shut off and restarted. It could be something else, I am not sure. But this was the only unusual page I visited before that happened.
Hmmm...must be coming from one of the third-party ads. Site itself scans clean, and no such trouble for me.
07-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the quick responses !

I'll come back after some more daily usage, and less "extreme conditions" pictures then.
I've been checking on pictures made with the old copy of the lense, and never found that much fringing with similar conditions, but let's play with it a bit more ;-).

RAART: sorry about that, just picked the first hosting website...
I suggest Flickr since if you participate here for long you may join one of the groups there that many of us use.
07-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No evidence of that -- why do you say so? (It may be you that has the malware.)
I am pretty sure that I know what I am talking about. I know what is malware (adds) and I am 100% sure that my computer is ok. I do not want to implicate my professional background however I can say that I have dealt with IT stuff since 1992 on professional level.

Anyway I just want to warn people here and if this was a mistake than I am sorry.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Typical adds malware stuff.

They probably running a script to identify browser and to exploit some vulnerabilities. I am using chrome and I guess that safari is affected too. Firefox has a bit better implementation but it comes to personal preference and that's the reason I am using it and also it is very easy sync with my android phone.
07-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice.

Given the scene you are shooting into, that's pretty good.
These types of pictures are pretty much guaranteed to make the lens fail.
07-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am pretty sure that I know what I am talking about. I know what is malware (adds) and I am 100% sure that my computer is ok. I do not want to implicate my professional background however I can say that I have dealt with IT stuff since 1992 on professional level.

Anyway I just want to warn people here and if this was a mistake than I am sorry.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 06:52 PM ----------

Typical adds malware stuff.

They probably running a script to identify browser and to exploit some vulnerabilities. I am using chrome and I guess that safari is affected too. Firefox has a bit better implementation but it comes to personal preference and that's the reason I am using it and also it is very easy sync with my android phone.

Try Malwarebytes. There is a trial period. I have it set to fire up before Windows gets going, and just renewed for another year. $30 well spent in my opinion.
07-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #15

Off topic:
Firefox, adblock plus add on installed plus pop-up blocker turned on by default. So far, these third party ads never managed to protrude.
Back to topic:

Fringing
- Purple fringing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing
- Chromatic Aberation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Commonly advocated methods of avoiding purple fringing include:
  • Avoid shooting with a wide-open lens in high contrast scenes.
  • Avoid overexposing highlights (e.g. specular reflections and bright sky behind dark objects).
  • Shoot with a Haze-2A or other strong UV-cut filter.
Post-processing to remove purple fringing (or chromatic aberration in general) usually involves scaling the fringed colour channel, or subtracting some of a scaled version of the blue channel, or other blue-channel tricks