Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Timed Exposure Using Cable Shutter Release

I have tried to do a timed shutter release using two different units on both my K1 and K3 with no luck. Camera in bulb mode.

The camera shutter will open when I press the "timer start stop" button on the unit, the red light will be on, and the unit will start counting down from the selected exposure time (i.e., "long"). However, when the count down gets to zero and the red light goes out, the camera shutter remains open - until I hit "timer start stop" again. It refuses to shut off automatically.

I feel I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. (Manual on/off and hold works just fine; just auto timer is a puzzle. And, even though I'm just requesting one shot, I have tried setting the interval time to a few seconds greater than the desired exposure time - no luck, same results).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Fred

07-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the "B" action set to? There are two options. The first holds the shutter open until it is released and the second holds it open until the button is pushed again. On your K-3, it is menu/C/1/7 Bulb (B) Mode Options.

BTW...what wired remote are you using?

Steve
07-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh...I think I maybe figured it out. Thanks for adding the part about the red light. Is there any chance you have the drive mode set to "Remote Control" or "Remote Control - 3 sec delay"? When using the wired remote, you don't need to use the remote control drive mode. That is for the wireless remote only.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-09-2016 at 10:48 PM.
07-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is the "B" action set to? There are two options. The first holds the shutter open until it is released and the second holds it open until the button is pushed again. On your K-3, it is menu/C/1/7 Bulb (B) Mode Options.

BTW...what wired remote are you using?

Steve
Bingo! Changing the bulb menu setting did the trick.

The unit has a Vivitar label, but is the same as others with different brands.

Thanks Steve

Fred