Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-r and Sigma 17-50 zoom lens.

I have used my K-r for several years with a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens with no trouble.

Recently, however, I noticed a "rattling" sound and a shaking of the image in the viewfinder when I attached the lens, turned the camera on, and used the zoom ring to zoom in. At two points in the zoom range, this would happen.

With the camera turned off, the lens did not rattle, nor did the image through the viewfinder shake when turning the zoom ring.

I looked into the front of the lens while doing this, and saw the smaller, middle lens element(s) which move back and forth during zooming also moving from side to side while zooming with the camera in the on position... which explains why I see and hear what I do.

What might cause this?

No other lens does it!

Is there possibly an issue with the electronic communication between the camera body and this particular lens?

Thanks,

Mike

07-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the older version of this lens with in-lens OS, that's likely to blame. The OS could be failing.

Try disabling the OS using the switch on the lens, as it's redundant given the K-r's in-body stabilization. In fact, if you have both on at the same time, it could induce blur.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Adam,

In fact, I have tried disabling the OS with that switch on the side...to no avail. I also tried disabling the K-r's stabilization, too...STILL have this problem. (Hmmmm.... Did I disable both of them? I'll have to check that, too...)

I might add that all but one of the two to three dozen photos I shot using the camera / lens combination turned out to be in focus, after this problem showed up a few days ago! As long as I let the lens' image-shakiness stop, the picture was fine...

I need to try this lens on another Pentax camera or two to see what happens!

Thanks!
07-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then it sounds like the lens might be in need of service. Let us know what you find out!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #5

Definitely a problem with the OS. I had the same symptoms with my Sigma 17-70 version ii. Cause was the flex cable to the OS unit was starting to split which caused the OS system to go haywire at two points in the zoom range. I was told the only solution was to replace the OS unit -- switching it off doesn't help as it still draws power to lock the moving element in place.
07-12-2016, 05:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suzhouren Quote
"caused the OS system to go haywire at two points in the zoom range."
BINGO! That's exactly what I'm seeing.... There are two points in my lens' zoom range at which this happens, too!

Interestingly, if I turn the zoom ring very fast, it doesn't happen at all....

Since this lens is well out of warranty, where would I find a place to have it repaired (Sigma, U.S.A.?) and would it cost far less than a new lens?

Thanks...

Mike