Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #1

K-3 ii exif data

Just got my new K-3II the other day and I love how it feels and the images it produces.
I use it for my job as a newspaper photographer, so often I take hundreds of images at events, like a sports contest, for example.
The problem is, that when I put them onto my computer (a PC laptop) I can't see the previews of the RAW (DNG) images, like I could with my former camera, a K-30.
I went through the properties, and compared the K-3II RAWS to the ones from the K-30. What I found is that the K-3 shots don't show most of the EXIF data, like Camera Maker, ISO, Exposure time, etc.
It does, however, show that data in the JPG format, after I've converted the files in photoshop.
So, is the problem with the camera? Can I get it to add/show that data in the files somehow? Or is it with my computer?

07-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does it have windows 10? Then read this article: https://www.petri.com/windows-10-tip-working-raw-image-files
07-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSPhotography Quote
The problem is, that when I put them onto my computer (a PC laptop) I can't see the previews of the RAW (DNG) images, like I could with my former camera, a K-30.
I went through the properties, and compared the K-3II RAWS to the ones from the K-30. What I found is that the K-3 shots don't show most of the EXIF data, like Camera Maker, ISO, Exposure time, etc.
For Windows 10 DNG support, download the DNG codec from Adobe:

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=194&platform=Windows

So, is the problem with the camera? Can I get it to add/show that data in the files somehow? Or is it with my computer?
There is no problem with the camera. Your experience converting to JPEG demonstrates that the data are there. Your software is simply not cooperating with you. What software are you using to view the EXIF? Adobe products are somewhat strange about new camera support, even with DNG.

BTW: Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
07-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=194&platform=Windows

There is no problem with the camera. Your experience converting to JPEG demonstrates that the data are there. Your software is simply not cooperating with you. What software are you using to view the EXIF? Adobe products are somewhat strange about new camera support, even with DNG.

Steve
I am just right-clicking and hitting "Properties."

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

BTW: Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
Thanks a ton, Steve! The Codec worked!!!

07-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am just right-clicking and hitting "Properties."
Thanks a ton, Steve! The Codec worked!!!
I thought it might. Windows will only expose the EXIF data in the properties dialog for known image and RAW file types.

Steve