Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Can't turn off bracketing K-1

Probably being dumb here, but I have turned on bracketing whilst simply experimenting with the dials and now I am completely unable to turn it off.

Can someone walk me through how I should do this?

Many thanks for any help ... (hoping to use the K-1 on a shoot tomorrow )

07-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by GrantFS Quote
Probably being dumb here, but I have turned on bracketing whilst simply experimenting with the dials and now I am completely unable to turn it off.

Can someone walk me through how I should do this?

Many thanks for any help ... (hoping to use the K-1 on a shoot tomorrow )
maybe you set bracketing ON on the Function dial and forgot to switch it OFF. Try to use Function dial "neutral" position, then push upper button of the four-way controller and select Single frame shooting

Last edited by Medex; 07-13-2016 at 11:07 AM.
07-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Excellent. Thanks Medex.

I've been fiddling around for almost an hour. It's hard to move from Nikon and like all of these cameras, the manual is written by a sadist.
07-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another way to exit bracketing (if you had set it using the settings dial) is to move the settings dial to CH/CL, then turn the third e-dial by one click to the left followed by one click to the right (or vice versa). This way you can skip having to enter the menu

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent. Thanks Medex.

I've been fiddling around for almost an hour. It's hard to move from Nikon and like all of these cameras, the manual is written by a sadist.
Yes! and Pentax manuals must be around the worst.....but the cameras are great once you have worked them out.

Thank goodness for this forum and the eBooks.
07-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Excellent. Thanks Medex.

I suspect they use the old team who used to write computer user manuals, which were written for people who didn't need them! Fortunately for those who've had a series of Pentax DSLRs, changes from one model to the next tend to be incremental, with some exceptions, but that's no help to someone coming fresh to the system.

Welcome to Pentax Forums, by the way!
07-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only way I found to turn bracketing off is through the drive mode selection on the four way contoler.

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Another way to exit bracketing (if you had set it using the settings dial) is to move the settings dial to CH/CL, then turn the third e-dial by one click to the left followed by one click to the right (or vice versa). This way you can skip having to enter the menu
I haven't tried that one.

Last edited by sundr; 07-13-2016 at 02:37 PM.
07-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
The only way I found to turn bracketing off is through the drive mode selection on the four way contoler.
Clad to hear that it is still that easy, just like K7, K5. I am so on the fence and ready to pull the trigger!

07-13-2016, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Clad to hear that it is still that easy, just like K7, K5. I am so on the fence and ready to pull the trigger!
The interface is very similar. The K-1 has many new customization options, though, which is awesome: in the control panel, you can choose what goes where. You can also make it so that the 4-way controller permanently controls AF points without first requiring the AF point mode to be pressed. This locks you out of the drive mode menu (etc.) until you press that button, so you won't accidentally put the camera in an unwanted mode.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Yes! and Pentax manuals must be around the worst.....but the cameras are great once you have worked them out.
Nah...Sony manuals are the worst.

Steve
12-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What is the "3rd e-dial?" I too was experimenting and cannot get out of bracketing. I CAN get out by going to single-frame shooting, but I don't want bracketing to be on whenever I go to a multi-shot drive mode. Having said that, what I want to do is set up one of my custom mode buttons so it turns on bracketing.
12-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parkfreeon6th Quote
I CAN get out by going to single-frame shooting, but I don't want bracketing to be on whenever I go to a multi-shot drive mode.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

No problem...Exposure bracketing is a drive mode the same as the various multi-shot modes and is quite separate from those other modes. That is pretty straightforward. Where things get interesting is when using the HDR feature which acts a little like exposure bracketing. All are covered in the user manual (p56 and p68-69) and are worth learning in detail. Note that the HDR feature only works for in-camera JPEG or RAW processed using Pentax DCU software.

You can set up bracketing as part of a custom user mode. See the manual p101.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-25-2016 at 04:28 PM.
12-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I've done this a number of times. Set the third dial to bkt and set the number of bracket steps to "0". That turns of bracketing off. I have no idea how it gets turned on, but I've hd to learn how to turn it off.
12-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Parkfreeon6th Quote
What is the "3rd e-dial?" I too was experimenting and cannot get out of bracketing. I CAN get out by going to single-frame shooting, but I don't want bracketing to be on whenever I go to a multi-shot drive mode. Having said that, what I want to do is set up one of my custom mode buttons so it turns on bracketing.
Upgrade your firmware and you should be able to exit bracketing without changing the position of the settings dial.

The third e-dial I'm talking about is the one right next to the top LCD

Adam