Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Super-Takumar 1:2.5/35 on Sony E-mount Body Focus Past Infinity

Hello everyone,

Finally got my hands on my first Pentax lens: the Super-Takumar 1:2.5/35 with a 49mm filter size. I don't have a Pentax digital body so I bought an M42 to E-mount adapter to try it out on my Sony a5000 body. The lens works pretty well, except that it seems to focus past infinity. I bought both the lens and the adapter from Taobao (because I am in China over the summer) but the adapter seems to be well-built. However I am suspecting that the lens cannot be screwed in correctly as I researched and found that it seems that the M42 screw adapter has several variants and some of the adapters might not work with some lenses.

The lens seems to focus to infinity when the DOP indicator reaches the distance of 2 meters and if I turn the focus ring more, infinity starts to get out of focus again.

My questions:
- Do I have the correct adapter for this lens, or it is because the adapter does not have the correct flange focal distance?
- Will it work with a correct focus to infinity if I use a M42 to PK adapter and a PK to E-mount adapter?
- I might be going out for trainwatching before I can get my hands on an working adapter, and I need to perform hyperfocal focus to take shots of trains. Is there a way for me to get hyperfocal focus working even with this adapter that focus beyond infinity?

P.S. I have uploaded some images for reference.

Sincerely

Attached Images

07-14-2016, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like the right adapter. NEX = E Mount I think (someone with more knowledge should confirm this).

If the lens is reaching infinity focus at 2 m then one of two possibilities:

1) The adapter is horribly wrong and/or
2) The lens is not tuned correctly.

The latter is unlikely but possible. Do you have a spotmatic to check the lens focus accuracy?
07-14-2016, 04:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Super-Takumar 1:2.5/35
07-14-2016, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

35/2 small error

07-14-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I meant 35/2. Probably typed this because of my Vivitar 28/2.5.
07-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I meant 35/2
07-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
It looks like the right adapter. NEX = E Mount I think (someone with more knowledge should confirm this).

The latter is unlikely but possible. Do you have a spotmatic to check the lens focus accuracy?
I don't have a Spotmatic. I only have a decaying Ricoh body with a PK mount. However I did buy a M42 to PK adapter which sits flush from a reputable seller who claims to "hand tune and inspect before shipping." Hopefully this can tell something.

07-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

BTW, is there a way to get hyperfocal focus working? Maybe by treating 2m as infinity and set hyperfocal focus accordingly?
07-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

BTW, is there a way to get hyperfocal focus working? Maybe by treating 2m as infinity and set hyperfocal focus accordingly?
You can change the focus relatively easily. You will need to break open the lens from the front element. Not hard, but you will need a spanner wrench and a little patience.
07-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can change the focus relatively easily. You will need to break open the lens from the front element. Not hard, but you will need a spanner wrench and a little patience.
The seller provides a 14-day warranty so I will just send the lens back for calibration, but before I can figure out what is going on can I just substitute 2m for infinity to work around this problem?
07-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I wouldn't - send the adapter back
07-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wouldn't - send the adapter back
Shall I wait at least for my M42-PK adapter to see if the fault is on the lens?
07-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh you want to send the lens back. Hmmm. Yeah, wait for the M42 - K adapter and check then. Good idea.
07-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh you want to send the lens back. Hmmm. Yeah, wait for the M42 - K adapter and check then. Good idea.
BTW if the adapter is faulty, what does focus past infinity indicate? The adapter been too short? I am a bit confused now.
07-14-2016, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, the adapter is too short.