Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with assessing this old M42 Sigma lens

I bought a couple of M42 lenses at auction and one of them does not appear to have any info on the net.
It is a SIGMA HIGH-SPEED 80-200mm (constant?) F3.5 one touch with "macro" 1:4.
The 200mm end is nearest to the camera.
No stop down switch.
8 blades. 62mm filter thread.
Too many screws around the mount!
Very soft at F3.5.

I have read that the Sigma high-speed zooms were nothing special but if this is a constant 3.5, maybe this one is.
Does anyone have experience of this lens?

I would like to sleeve the stop down pin to enable use but am put off by the number of screws around and on the mount.
Is this an example of a Sigma version of an interchangeable mount?
There are 5 screws around the mount, 3 in close proximity to each other and 2 more at 90 degs to those 3 and 180 degs to each other.
4 screws in the face of the mount, 3 x head and one slotted.

Thank you to anybody that can help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Constant-speed zooms are not necessarily higher quality than a variable-speed zoom -- especially an old third-party zoom. It is harder to make a good constant-speed zoom. So soft wide-open is probably to be expected, and is what I've found almost universally among older "fast" third-party lenses. But many of these old things are surprisingly good when you stop them down a bit. (Most of the old Vivitar Series 1 non-macro prime lenses that were a stop or half-stop faster than usual were like this -- they tend to be very soft wide-open but pretty good stopped down.)
07-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep in mind that Sigma was know as Stigma in those days...

Sigma did have an interchangeable mount at one point, the YS mount, but this is not one of them. I'm pretty sure they continued with bolt-on lens mounts for years after they abandoned the YS mount.

YS Interchangeable Adapter Mounts, Y-S lens mount

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-14-2016 at 09:44 AM.
07-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Try to jam the aperture pin in the stopped down position. Then the aperture will close

07-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

No A/M switch? Bit weird for the vintage. I'd just superglue the pin on such a lens, although some people warn against it I've done it lots of times without issue. (Just do in well-ventilated area -- once dry it is fine.)
07-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in my day, before through the lens metering, zooms were constant speed in order to meter accurately. They also weren't very good. So if this dates to that period...
Back then catalogs had "lenses" and "zoom lenses" as there were so few zooms they didn't need to say "prime" lens.
07-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

According to the article linked in boriscleto's post the Y-S system is compatible with T-mount. So you could us a T-mount adapter in place of a Y-S adapter with loss of automation (no linkage). Or a T-mount lens on a Y-S adapter (no linkages).

Are you sure this is a M42 thread and not a T-mount/Y-S thread on this lens?

07-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
According to the article linked in boriscleto's post the Y-S system is compatible with T-mount. So you could us a T-mount adapter in place of a Y-S adapter with loss of automation (no linkage). Or a T-mount lens on a Y-S adapter (no linkages).

I don't think a T-mount would have an aperture pin like that -- gotta be an m42.
07-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Sigma continued to use a bolted-on lens mount long after they stopped with the Y-S. I have a K-mount Sigma XQ 28mm that has a very clunky looking lens mount...

Name:  _IMG1214-2.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  254.5 KB
07-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks to all you kind people that have posted.

I shall pop the mount off sometime and sleeve the pin and.......not be too surprised if it turns out to be a bit of a duffer image wise.
I have an old Sigma mini wide 28mm F2.8 that I quite like (K mount) so maybe this will be likeable too.
07-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on this lens.
I took out the 3 retaining screws on the mount face and removed the plate containing the stop down pin.
Unfortunately the ball bearing aperture click maker and a tiny brass tube fell off.
I have no idea where this brass tube goes but re-assembled the lens with a tiny tube cut from a cotton bud (Q tip?) sleeved over the pin.
Result....lens stops down, seems to work fine....but this tiny brass tube is bugging me. It must go somewhere!

Today was overcast and I did not take many images. It is soft wide open and improves down a couple of stops then sharpens up. High contrast (white lettering) shows some green fringing wide open but this goes as it stops down. I have some not as good manual zooms ( one is called a Formula 1, great brand name!) and maybe a couple of better ones. The better ones (Tamron SPs) have zoom creep which this is not yet suffering from and purple fringing not green.
I shall try it some more in the sun...when we get some. First impressions are that it is not a bad lens....stopped down, and a reasonably fast aperture for it's length.

Thank yous again to all who posted replies.