Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Best option for viewing Macro images "Live" on monitor.

Been using KX for some time for Macro work.
I would really like to view the item I am working with displayed directly on a large PC monitor at a reasonable resolution. As my own vision is making the Live View image difficult to work with.
Suggestions would be appreciated if there is a Pentax model available to suit my requirements if the KX will not. I would prefer not to keep turning off Live View due to sensor o/heating issues as others have suggested will happen if I utilise existing options available.

Thanks and Regards

07-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Touchwood Quote
Suggestions would be appreciated if there is a Pentax model available to suit my requirements if the KX will not. I would prefer not to keep turning off Live View due to sensor o/heating issues as others have suggested will happen if I utilise existing options available.
Heat shouldn't be a problem, especially on newer cameras.

On models that have HDMI out (i.e. all flagships and the K-S2/K-70), you can connect the camera to an external monitor and view the live view image on a larger screen. This combined with live view zoom should do the trick for you

You can also use the Image Sync app on a tablet with models that support it (K-1, K-S2, K-70) or the O-FC1 Flucard (K-3 family, K-S1, 645Z), though zooming functionality is much more basic with those.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HOODMAN makes several different focusing magnifiers that can be held against the LCD screen, both blocking ambient light and enlarging the screen and making it much easier to evaluate a captured image in the field. There are similar over-LCD magnifiers that come with an Arca-compatible baseplate that can mount the viewer over the LCD screen, no hands required. The one I have is quite large, but it has an eyecup that can be switched 180 degrees for right or left eye viewing, a shield to cover the eyepiece if desired by just sliding a little lever, and the magnifier is hinged so it can be flipped up leaving a a well-shaded direct view of the LCD screen. It was designed and intended for people who do a lot of video with their DSLR (=they can hold the camera tight against their eye while recording, like holding a telescope) but it can be useful for macro work. However, it is big and clumsy to use in the field.
07-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys - information much appreciated. Probably need to look for a body that will host an HDMI connection as Adam suggested.