Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cross processed Jpeg's - any way back?

Hi
I went to the Farnborough airshow on Friday with my K3ii. I did not check the images often enough and at one point found the buffer had slowed down, and as the images cycled through (1 second preview with histogram) I saw they were cross processing. I must have pressed the custom image button followed by the WB button. I now have 143 jpeg's in this state and I did not shoot Raw+.
The only software I have is Slikypix 3 (from my K-50) and DCU5.4.0 on an old laptop. At the time I thought I should be able to correct this, but the custom image button and most options are greyed out for these images.
If they are gone, so be it - lesson learnt although it would be nice to retrieve some of them. (I shot hundreds more so it's not a total loss)
Any thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Ha! I have nothing helpful to tell you, besides maybe using levels adjustment on each color channel, but that would be a huge PitA. I like them like this. :-)
07-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lol, I just wondered if there was some magic software , PITA is about right given how slow this laptop is, they are not viable.

I think I might be able to reset cross processing to bright using favourite1 in that menu and picking a bright image, just in case it happens again.

Then I had another brainwave, maybe I can do it in camera, but the option isn't there in digital filters but there is something else to explore, a teaser of saving to raw, but that option only exists first time round I think.
07-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am having trouble searching with my phone - but there have been topics like this and I thought some niche products existed that did an ok job fixing the colors.

But maybe the easier idea is to convert them to …black and white.

07-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am having trouble searching with my phone - but there have been topics like this and I thought some niche products existed that did an ok job fixing the colors.

But maybe the easier idea is to convert them to …black and white.
They seem to be set in stone in DCU5, I can't even covert to B&W and that would save some of them so thanks for that. I can invert in camera for a fun image that's about all. I will put them aside for a rainy day when I have more time and software. Thanks!
07-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

As these are JPEGs, you can't do anything apart from trying to edit them into normalness.

Then again, some are probably not that bad
07-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

There's a fair bit you can do salvage these images in Lightroom or PS, by adjusting colour channels etc, not so sure DCU5 as I don't use or know the software.

Attached a quick tweak to give you an idea.

Get it right for one, you could then batch process multiple images taken under the same conditions with a simple couple of clicks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-17-2016 at 12:37 PM.
07-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There's a fair bit you can do salvage these images in Lightroom or PS, by adjusting colour channels etc, not so sure DCU5 as I don't use or know the software.

Attached a quick tweak to give you an idea.

Get it right for one, you could then batch process multiple images taken under the same conditions with a simple couple of clicks.
Well that worked well enough, a new PC and Lightroom is next on my list (I just need to tame LBA) how long did it take to convert?.
I'll just send you the the other 142 (yeah that is my humor there)

07-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
how long did it take to convert?.
About twenty seconds or so, but you'd still need to do a bit more yet, as there is still a slight magenta cast under parts of the wings. It was just to give you an idea what could be done with say Lightroom.

Beauty is... if you have many images with the same problems, you correct the settings on one and then copy those adjustments in one click to all the others.
07-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
About twenty seconds or so, but you'd still need to do a bit more yet, as there is still a slight magenta cast under parts of the wings. It was just to give you an idea what could be done with say Lightroom.

Beauty is... if you have many images with the same problems, you correct the settings on one and then copy those adjustments in one click to all the others.

Can it be done in batches though?, I have a set of the red devil's parachute team in all colours, it just converted randomly

You have shown that they can be salvaged, and that's enough. I can select the best and park them up for a time when I am doing post processing
Thanks!
07-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Can it be done in batches though?
Yes, if it's the same issues on each of the images, just correct one... literally it's like then copy and paste the alterations to all the others once you have selected them in one click.

If not like your Red Devils... enjoy some evenings in with Lightroom.
07-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may be able to get a free trial on Adobe Photoshop for 30 days.

Hereʻs what I was able to do with Image->Image Adjustments-> Levels grey eyedropper on the fuselage and then Image->Image Adjustments->Color Balance-> taking away Cyan in the highlights. In PS there are many ways you could work it, but once you find a decent formula, you can make it into an Action to quickly correct batches of jpegs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to you all for your help, I can see a way forward for these now and I'll be paying more attention next time.
07-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's why I always shoot RAW... I've been burned on compacts years ago once with unrecoverably azure pictures from an incandescent WB forgotten from the last picture indoor and promised myself "never again".

At least you have some nice pictures, and those are somewhat usable, if a little instagrammish...
07-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixlr is free and online. It may not be as easy to use as Lightroom but it will easily do b&w conversions.

Cross processing tends to randomly twist colors around in a way that tends to not be very batch friendly from what I have read but you could get lucky.