Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II with DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR

I have an interesting situation with this camera or lens. Everything seems to work perfectly but whatever zoom setting I use, the exif information shows focal length 36mm.

Is this likely to be a problem with the lens or with the camera? Or maybe the connections between lens and camera?

Autofocus is fine. Aperture is fine. No problems with IQ, just with every image showing a focal length of 36mm whether it was shot at 18mm or 135mm.

Any advise would be appreciated.

07-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be the hardware inside the lens that tells it what the zoom ring is set to. Are you also experiencing issues with the SR?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could be the hardware inside the lens that tells it what the zoom ring is set to. Are you also experiencing issues with the SR?
Cannot hear anything when I set dust removal in the menu.
Don't know if SR is working or not.
07-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
the exif information shows focal length 36mm
Does the same issue arise with other lenses?

I'd also get a 'second opinion' on the EXIF being recorded by using Exiftool to view some of your images, and see what it reads.

07-18-2016, 02:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd also get a 'second opinion' on the EXIF being recorded by using Exiftool to view some of your images, and see what it reads.
I have checked the images with the INFO button in playback mode as well as with EXIFTOOL and EXIF PILOT. All show 36mm no matter what the zoom was.

Right now that is the only lens I have access to.
07-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Cannot hear anything when I set dust removal in the menu.
The K-5II doesn't use the SR for Dust Removal FYI.
07-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The K-5II doesn't use the SR for Dust Removal FYI.
That would be odd. My K100D Super did. The K-3 introduced the Ultrasonic type where the older cameras felt like they were shaking inside and made an audible buzz sound when starting up or shutting down (or both) depending on how you configured dust removal. The K-50 also used sr for this purpose.

However I have never owned a k5 of any type. So I could be mistaken.
07-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure the K-7 had that already, and the K-5/II/IIs definitely use the ultrasonic system.

07-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sometimes I forget to change the focal length setting in the camera menu, when I change from one manual lens to another. If the focal length is very different then the SR would work like crazy or almost not at all. If the lens communicates wrong focal length to the camera I expect the SR to work wrong. This should be very noticeable at both 18 and 135 mm.

If the SR works fine at both 18 and 135mm the error might occur in the camera. If that is the case, I believe the same SR and focal length reporting problem should occur with other lenses.
07-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That would be odd. My K100D Super did. The K-3 introduced the Ultrasonic type where the older cameras felt like they were shaking inside and made an audible buzz sound when starting up or shutting down (or both) depending on how you configured dust removal. The K-50 also used sr for this purpose.

However I have never owned a k5 of any type. So I could be mistaken.
The K-7 introduced ultrasonic DR II, and it's been present on every flagship ever since.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-7 introduced ultrasonic DR II, and it's been present on every flagship ever since.
Lol. I need to add a word. Introduced ME to ultrasonic SR.

---------- Post added 07-18-16 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I'm pretty sure the K-7 had that already, and the K-5/II/IIs definitely use the ultrasonic system.
Sorry. I should clarify that I meant it introduced ultrasonic to me. The overall point being that a whole long lineage of bodies have DR. But your point as I see it is that ultrasonic dr isn't part of the Sr system? I had not conceputualized it that way. It makes sense in the context - nothing to hear/feel when using dust removal so nothing direct to infer about the Sr system.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-18-2016 at 03:53 PM.