Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Pentax K-50 Dark images

I have no idea what I've done to my camera. All images are now dark, including those taken with the flash. I have tried returning to the factory settings with no luck. Does anybody know how to help me?

07-19-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear! There are many posts covering this problem. Do a search on K-30/K-50 aperture block failure.
07-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html
07-19-2016, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

That really sucks. It seems like your camera has experienced that dreaded aperture block failure.

You basically have one of 3 options:
  • Send it out to get fixed (cost might not be worth it)
  • Use it with completely manual lenses (aperture ring & focus)
  • Try fixing it yourself (too much hassle)
This problem seems to affect the K-30, K-50, & even some recent K-S2 cameras have been affected.

I haven't experienced this yet, but having 2 K-50 bodies will probably double my chances if it happens.

Class action lawsuit?

07-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deirdre Quote
I have no idea what I've done to my camera. All images are now dark, including those taken with the flash. I have tried returning to the factory settings with no luck. Does anybody know how to help me?
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sorry to hear! There are many posts covering this problem. Do a search on K-30/K-50 aperture block failure.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As Paul noted, there is a known issue with the K-50 regarding the aperture control components. There are a couple of things you can do to further characterize your issue. They go like this:
  • Remove the lens from the camera and flick the aperture actuator lever with your finger while looking into the lens. You should be able to see the iris diaphragm open fully and close back down with each flick. The motion should be "snappy" with no sticking or hesitation. If this is not the case, there is a problem with the lens aperture mechanism.
  • With the lens back on the camera and the mode dial on "M", adjust the aperture to the widest setting (smallest number) and the shutter speed to 1 second. Press the shutter release while looking into the front of the lens. The iris opening should remain full open for the full shutter cycle. Try this several times.
  • Repeat the test above at f/5.6, f/8, and f/16. There should be an obvious difference in the opening size from one setting to the next.
Failure of either of the last two tests indicate a problem with the body. If your camera is still under warranty, Ricoh/Pentax will repair the problem. If you are out of warranty one or two months, contact Ricoh/Pentax and ask them to extend the warranty to cover the issue. If you have owned the camera longer than that, you can pay to have it repaired. The cost is somewhere in the $200 range.

Steve
07-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As Paul noted, there is a known issue with the K-50 regarding the aperture control components. There are a couple of things you can do to further characterize your issue. They go like this:
  • Remove the lens from the camera and flick the aperture actuator lever with your finger while looking into the lens. You should be able to see the iris diaphragm open fully and close back down with each flick. The motion should be "snappy" with no sticking or hesitation. If this is not the case, there is a problem with the lens aperture mechanism.
  • With the lens back on the camera and the mode dial on "M", adjust the aperture to the widest setting (smallest number) and the shutter speed to 1 second. Press the shutter release while looking into the front of the lens. The iris opening should remain full open for the full shutter cycle. Try this several times.
  • Repeat the test above at f/5.6, f/8, and f/16. There should be an obvious difference in the opening size from one setting to the next.
Failure of either of the last two tests indicate a problem with the body. If your camera is still under warranty, Ricoh/Pentax will repair the problem. If you are out of warranty one or two months, contact Ricoh/Pentax and ask them to extend the warranty to cover the issue. If you have owned the camera longer than that, you can pay to have it repaired. The cost is somewhere in the $200 range.

Steve
Steve, you've give me hope! Thank you.
08-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
So frustrated and upset with Ricoh/Pentax. They say no recall has been issued and there's no record of this being a problem in this model, they are not going to extend my warranty. I purchased this camera in December of 2014. Unbelievable.
08-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Deirdre Quote
So frustrated and upset with Ricoh/Pentax. They say no recall has been issued and there's no record of this being a problem in this model, they are not going to extend my warranty. I purchased this camera in December of 2014. Unbelievable.
No record of being a problem? Seems like quite extensive records...damn.