Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax SMC-DA 14mm f/2.8 ED [IF] Is suddenly recording a dark centre in my frames.

I hve the Pentax 14mm f2.8 and it is suddenly recording a dark centre in all my frames. Has anyone experienced this? I don't think it's dirty but will do a thorough cleaning tonight.
Thanks!
go to this link to see the image and a couple others in the thread.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157133378780655&set=gm.10153731802...type=3&theater

07-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You wouldn't happen to have a variable ND filter on the front would you?
07-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check if something had found its way onto the back of the lens.
07-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Check front and back of lens to make sure they are clean. Especially the back element. Also, look inside of the lens, maybe with a flashlight, to check if there is anything odd inside.
Are you shooting raw or jpeg? Lens profiles, either in-camera for jpeg or in raw software, can do all sorts of things. Disable Vignetting correction for starters, as that function literally makes the corners brighter (though, it is not meant to make them so oddly bright that the centre looks dark).
Do any other lenses exhibit similar behaviour on your camera? Can you test this specific lens on another camera?

07-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
You wouldn't happen to have a variable ND filter on the front would you?
...or a polariser.
07-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's a cataract, my friend...all old lenses eventually get them!
07-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haha Fat Albert! Yes, they can! And thanks gents, I thought about it a lot while working yesterday and when I got home i looked over everything functionally on the lens. After finding nothing wrong, and not seeing the same problem on the back of the camera or with no lens attached, I determined the problem must be in lightroom. I have it set to automatically apply lens correction upon import. It's not applying the 'wrong' profile though, it's the 'correct' one for the lens (as in, it's got the right name), however, it most certainly is different than what it was in Yosemite. I just updated to El Capitain yesterday morning and these are the first images I've imported and edited since. Before El Capitain the lens profile correction was perfect and did not cause this dark band in the centre. I have yet to try it with any of my other lens', but has anyone else experienced this with El Capitain and Lightroom 6 (non CC) with Pentax lens'?

07-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...or a polariser.
Yeah, to me it looks like what you get with a uwa + cpl.
07-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Yeah, to me it looks like what you get with a uwa + cpl.
No polarizer used. No filters at all.
07-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You almost need to show us an image... but if it's LR can you just turn off the profile correction to verify this is what's happening. Otherwise, try a different program (Rawtherapee and LightZone are free Raw processors to test with).

Finally, check with other lenses... Make sure you aren't having a camera/sensor problem.
07-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
You almost need to show us an image... but if it's LR can you just turn off the profile correction to verify this is what's happening. Otherwise, try a different program (Rawtherapee and LightZone are free Raw processors to test with).

Finally, check with other lenses... Make sure you aren't having a camera/sensor problem.
Thanks. I've already determined through my own testing that it's the combination of El Capitain and the 14mm profile; Mac and Adobe messed something up. And if you were to follow the link above, the facebook post is public so anyone can see it and the discussion with some of my photo buddies.
08-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Thanks. I've already determined through my own testing that it's the combination of El Capitain and the 14mm profile; Mac and Adobe messed something up. And if you were to follow the link above, the facebook post is public so anyone can see it and the discussion with some of my photo buddies.
Sorry... I don't use Facebook anymore including others posts on it.

Given the discussion in this thread, I didn't think it had been determined thus my reply before.
08-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Sorry... I don't use Facebook anymore including others posts on it.

Given the discussion in this thread, I didn't think it had been determined thus my reply before.
No prob I find it hard to post pictures to the forum, especially when pressed for time, so I just did the quickest solution I could find. So annoying El Capitain causes this issue, and no one seems to know why or be offering up a fix. I've heard it happens to some peoples other lens' too, including an 8mm nikon.