Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need Help - Folders/Files missing on SD Card

Had about 10 gig of pictures on and SD card on my K3. Knew they were there because I could view them on the camera. Went to down load using my standard process of inserting the SD card in my computer and then using Lightroom to import the picture files. Lightroom indicated there were no files on the SD card. Strange because i was just reviewing them on my camera. Reinserted the card back in my camera, hit the review button and the camera now indicated no pictures even though the count on the the LCD screen indicated there should be 200 photos on the card (a newly formated card will show storage for 597 pictures and this card shows 396). Put the card back in the computer and Windows Explorer indicates that there is 19.6 gigs out of 29.7 gigs free which would indicate that there is 10 gigs of data on the card. The drive structure is K-3 ( G: )\DCIM -This folder is empty. Normally there is a subfolder (100PNTX) under the DCIM folder which contains all the the picture files. This subfolder is not there. To me it seems like there are 10 gigs of pictures on the disc but the folder (100PNTX) in which they should be located is missing. Any ideas on what caused this and what i can do to recover the pictures (tried Recuva but it only found previously deleted files).

Last edited by jim.haase; 07-21-2016 at 12:15 PM.
07-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's really strange- is there any chance your files might be in the other SD slot, though?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tried the card in both slots. Same results
07-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jim.haase Quote
Tried the card in both slots. Same results
I don't think that's what Adam meant. He was asking if the files could be on another card in the second slot.

07-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
No. The card in the other slot was empty. No pictures on it and picture count showed 597.
07-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you have the USB cord? If so, you could try connecting the camera that way and see if the computer sees the photos.
07-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thought about that but the camera does not see the pictures anymore

07-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the card was corrupted somehow. You may have to use some file recovery methods to get your photos back.

edit: dcshooter beat me to it!
07-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery
That was the other recovery software I was trying to think of...Good call dcshooter!
07-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First thing before proceeding any further, flip the lock lever/slider on the card to prevent any further writes which might cause damage.

Another recovery software option for Mac users is Card Rescue. Commercial but can run a scan first to see if there is any data to recover.
07-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't think he's using a Mac.

QuoteQuote:
Put the card back in the computer and Windows Explorer
07-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reading too quickly, missed the Explorer and drive letter references.

Reading slower, based on the workflow described, I would not put that card in that reader on that specific PC again.

If the images on that card are highly valuable and required immediately I would do any other recovery attempts or scans on a completely different system with a different reader.

If the images are not needed immediately I would break out a new card, fomat it in what may now be a suspect reader, run a bunch of torture tests on the reader and card with something like HD Scan, then fire off a few low value test images to use to test if the problem occurs again in the same workflow.
07-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dcshooter. A little complicated for my simple mind but I figured it out and was able to recover the pictures. Again, Thanks alot
07-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A little complicated for my simple mind but I figured it out and was able to recover the pictures
That's great news!
07-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Dcshooter. A little complicated for my simple mind but I figured it out and was able to recover the pictures. Again, Thanks alot
Please tell us how, even if was user error. Helpful for the next person with the same issue.