Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2016, 03:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 exposure not works in "Av, Tv, TAv, P" mode

I am newbie and this's the first time to post with my K3 problem:

Shutter speed, aperture, ISO lost ability when I set Av mode even Tv or TAV; and I had to set them manually.

I had tried using Av-Tv-TAV mode, pointing to other scene to shot and press 1/2 ...focus function works very good but camera had the same exposure value as last shot (in manual). So on.
On back display, at left top displays "M" even I set AV-TAv or Tv mode.

AF, green button work very good ...so I must press it every time for knowing (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) and set them in manual.

Things had done: updated latest firmware for K3, change other battery ...
Problem happened 3 days ago. Now I did only use K3 with MF mode

Anyone have experiences helping me or send camera to pentax technician.
Thank you very much.

07-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you got Auto ISO on?
07-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Wild Mark
Yes. Normally, I set auto ISO from 100-3200
07-22-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

try taking Auto ISO off and see what happens.

07-22-2016, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like the camera is not reading the f-stop on the lens (hence Av, TAv and Tv modes not working) Try re-mounting the lens and cleaning the contacts- assuming you are using a modern F/DA lens or a manual lens with A on the aperture ring...
07-22-2016, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by nguyenlong Quote
On back display, at left top displays "M" even I set AV-TAv or Tv mode.
I remember reading somewhere that if the mode select dial malfunctions the camera will default into M mode. It's probably a failsafe so you can have full control over your exposure settings even if you can't select a different mode. (Imagine if you were stuck in bulb mode! )

I'd suggest working your mode select dial back and forth to see if it starts working again. Maybe it somehow got some moisture or dust inside that's interfering with the contacts.

---------- Post added 07-22-16 at 03:06 PM ----------

If you still can't figure it out it may be time to look into repair services. In the meantime, practice using it in M mode to get more familiar.

When you half press the shutter the EV indicator in the viewfinder can help you get your shutter / aperture / ISO correct so you can still take pictures. I like using the EV indicator better than using the green button because I decide what to change, so it's more like Av, Tv, TAv modes than using the green button and hoping it can read your mind.

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 07-22-2016 at 12:07 PM.
07-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Imagine if you were stuck in bulb mode! )

That is my reality for a K5 I own