Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

strange zoom behavior on K5

Well my daughter (22yrs) is off on an adventure in Denali National Park, I gave her my K5 and bought a new kit zoom lens to go with it (the DA L 18-50mm DC WR RE).

So she just called me before losing cell coverage on the bus ride in to wonderland lake campground and this is what's happening as best I can tell from her description.

She zooms out, holds the shutter button half way down to focus, the camera focuses and then the zoom retracts before taking the picture. This is the best understanding I can come up with from her description.

Has anyone seen anything like this or have an idea what might be going on?

She was supposed to use the camera before leaving and never did, so lesson learned I hope. It will be a shame to have to use her cell phone up there.

Thanks for any help.

Larry

07-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you referring to the lens itself, or the live view? Live view zoom is just for analyzing the image, rather than cropping it digitally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam,

I think it's the lens itself, but I didn't have enough time in the conversation to pin her down on specifics unfortunately.
07-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's quite strange then, because the camera has no way to control the zoom on that particular lens. Perhaps the locking mechanism has failed?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
It could be the lens. I just bought it on Amazon from a company called 'Electronics Basket' so anything is possible. I usually assume a seller on Amazon will be vetted enough not to be a problem but who knows. I'll at least tell her to clean the contacts on the lens and body.

Maybe she's not turning the locking mechanism far enough to engage it fully. It's likely something simple like that.
07-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are suggestions, I am not sure if they will help.

She should make completely sure the lens is fully screwed onto the camera to accomodate all camera/lens contact. Taking the lens off and then securing it fully on the camera would be a good step. She should use "Spot" AF and make sure the camera AF mode is set to AF.C. Keep live view off, use the regular viewfinder.

If she has access to another Pentax lens to see if the same thing happens or doesn't happen, she could find out if the occurrence is limited to the one lens.

One time I placed an 18-55 on a camera, it seemed tight and I had something similar happen to what you mentioned. I reattached it, making sure to hear the click, and it went right back to normal.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.
07-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks C_,

Good suggestions. I actually showed her how to change the lens before she left and she put the zoom back on herself so she may have not twisted hard enough for that too. I sent her with just the zoom though, trying to keep it simple for her.

Well, I actually hope there isnt cell coverage in Denali, that would seem sacrilegious to me, but they have other great plans after that so perhaps we'll get her fixed up for that.

My wish was that she would get a good image I could print large for her to remember her trip by, and maybe get some photo interests going.

Thanks Adam and C_.
07-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're welcome. I hope she is able to make sure the lens is all the way on. It will most likely click into place when it is fully attached. I hope you are able to contact her and she is able to utilize her lens.

Good luck to you both.

07-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryroohr Quote
Well, I actually hope there isnt cell coverage in Denali, that would seem sacrilegious to me, but they have other great plans after that so perhaps we'll get her fixed up for that.
I'm sure somebody associated with the group has a satellite phone.