Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 300 AF issues

I posted this in the wrong are less appropriate area and am reposting here as suggested.

I purchased a new DA* 300mm F4 2 weeks ago.
Knowing that my other lenses needed some AF fine tuning I ran this new lens through the 2 calibration test charts......................

Edit < snip >

Decided to return the lens, sorry for the bother mates.

Dewolf

Last edited by dewolf; 08-02-2016 at 04:22 AM. Reason: no longer applies
07-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume you have tried Live View and that is OK? If live view focus is good then you can rule out a lens problem. Problems with inconsistent PDAF through the viewfinder hsve sometimes been traced to dirty AF modules in the base of the mirror box. If you have a bulb blower, put the camera in sensor clean mode to lock the mirror up, turn the camera over and blow gently on the bottom of the mirror box. This should be enough to dislodge any dirt which may be on the AF modules.
07-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter

what is your shutter speed? the pic does look sharp enough but try to double the minimum shutter speed (from 1/300 to 1/800) and see if the results are better.

Randy
08-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Merged threads.

08-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
OK today is decision day to keep or not keep the lens. I have some images that have had PP, BUT the first image is a 100% crop from the DNG-raw file. This after tweaking the AF settings on the camera.
only the first image is raw-crop. You folks that have experiance with this lens will know if this is whats expected. thanks for any input, will post to 300 club as well

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMxYP9-HDdKa-csZAsSzqlItQ0SS1u9lPhmz5_R...9EY2R4UmZ3OC1R

Dewolf
These photos look like what I would expect for this lens.
08-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
These photos look like what I would expect for this lens.
I sent it back, The fact that I had to use PK_tether just to get the AF within range was a concern, but flat focus sheet tests showed sharp in the middle only, fuzzy outside. considering how badly it was packaged I returned it and am purchasing a new copy from B&H . should have time to shoot this weekend
08-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I posted this in the wrong are less appropriate area and am reposting here as suggested.

I purchased a new DA* 300mm F4 2 weeks ago.
Knowing that my other lenses needed some AF fine tuning I ran this new lens through the 2 calibration test charts......................

Edit < snip >

Decided to return the lens, sorry for the bother mates.

Dewolf

Ok, new lens from B&H. those people are the best. saved $$ and got a much better copy, sharp at F4 right out of the box with no AF adjustments. Here is a 100% crop from raw with only NR and exposure since I underexpose.
It's much sharper, at F4 and beyond. Sadly the lens hood was damaged in shipping, but rether than send the lens back they are shipping me a return label and new hood.
Good work B&H.

Last edited by dewolf; 01-29-2017 at 06:26 PM.
08-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ok, new lens from B&H. those people are the best. saved $$ and got a much better copy, sharp at F4 right out of the box with no AF adjustments. Here is a 100% crop from raw with only NR and exposure since I underexpose.
It's much sharper, at F4 and beyond. Sadly the lens hood was damaged in shipping, but rether than send the lens back they are shipping me a return label and new hood.
Good work B&H.
Good to hear. Im glad you have a properly working copy. I cant imagine you'll be anything other than please with a nice sharp copy of this lens.

08-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
considering how badly it was packaged
Sadly the lens hood was damaged in shipping,
Where do you live - a war zone somewhere?

Seems like everything you get comes damaged. You need to select a new delivery service - your current one must play football with all their parcels.

The hood particularly - I mean, it's normally in the main lens box, well away from harm. And it's virtually indestructible too (or so I would have thought).
08-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Seems like everything you get comes damaged. You need to select a new delivery service - your current one must play football with all their parcels.

The hood particularly - I mean, it's normally in the main lens box, well away from harm. And it's virtually indestructible too (or so I would have thought).
well we have all seen how UPS and others handle packages sometimes, however this hood damage was the fault of the packer, and not UPS or B&H. the box was sealed when shipped to B&H, and the hood was not reverse attached to the lens as many are shipped so it got banged into. and Florida... we are at the end of the UPS run, end of day, im sure the guy would like to drop kick a few packages but this bloke is pretty easy going out of the l;ast 15 packages 5 were damaged. The last lens may have been damaged, but even Pentax, when I spoke to them on the phone, seemed to think it was just a defective unit. the unit would focus, then not, then lock onto something in between focus. it was pretty screwy, some pics came out nice, others the focus just simply stopped short, sometimes way short. Told B&H ide use it all weekend and see how the SDM holds up, he laughed.

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Good to hear. Im glad you have a properly working copy. I cant imagine you'll be anything other than please with a nice sharp copy of this lens.
well I can tell you, thus far, im shocked at the difference between the 2 copies, my dog looked fuzzy before, now she has fur lol.I had some AF issues today but it was dim and overcast and I was shooting into a busy blowing grass field at a dragonfly, so no fault of the AF or lens IMO, just bad conditions. Tomorrow im heading out with it, for butterfly's, bees, egrets and whatever comes my way, bees are soooo cute. and yes, a dedicated macro ( 100mm Pentax ) is going to be next, then a 17mm prime for astro

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 08:29 PM ----------

the little hard plastic locking parts that click onto the lens were what was damaged, so when mounted it wobbled. The plastic parts were at the bottom of the bag
08-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
well we have all seen how UPS and others handle packages sometimes
True enough, thanks to many videos similar to this (or worse) on YouTube:

08-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
True enough, thanks to many videos similar to this (or worse) on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/nE7vzSgSHyg
agreed and I have seen worse. and often its not the delivery guy, but all the handlers in between at all the different depot stops and the air flight etc. granted the lenses were made to be durable, rugged even, but they are precision instruments, and as such don't like being bounced of concrete. 1 single air pillow, as in the previously shipped lens was not enough to protect it, im sure that didn't help whatever issues the lens had. i mean really +14 AF adjustment basically, thanks to PK_Tether lol.
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well we have all seen how UPS and others handle packages sometimes, however this hood damage was the fault of the packer, and not UPS or B&H. the box was sealed when shipped to B&H, and the hood was not reverse attached to the lens as many are shipped so it got banged into. and Florida... we are at the end of the UPS run, end of day, im sure the guy would like to drop kick a few packages but this bloke is pretty easy going out of the l;ast 15 packages 5 were damaged. The last lens may have been damaged, but even Pentax, when I spoke to them on the phone, seemed to think it was just a defective unit. the unit would focus, then not, then lock onto something in between focus. it was pretty screwy, some pics came out nice, others the focus just simply stopped short, sometimes way short. Told B&H ide use it all weekend and see how the SDM holds up, he laughed.

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 08:25 PM ----------

well I can tell you, thus far, im shocked at the difference between the 2 copies, my dog looked fuzzy before, now she has fur lol.I had some AF issues today but it was dim and overcast and I was shooting into a busy blowing grass field at a dragonfly, so no fault of the AF or lens IMO, just bad conditions. Tomorrow im heading out with it, for butterfly's, bees, egrets and whatever comes my way, bees are soooo cute. and yes, a dedicated macro ( 100mm Pentax ) is going to be next, then a 17mm prime for astro

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 08:29 PM ----------

the little hard plastic locking parts that click onto the lens were what was damaged, so when mounted it wobbled. The plastic parts were at the bottom of the bag
another 100% crop, overcast and light rain sometimes and a bit breezy but got a few nice shots. Lens impressed me. more at

https://goo.gl/photos/dRNqm1ULEPbMWEi46

Thanks for you patience and input folks.

This crop no NR just brightness in PP

Last edited by dewolf; 01-29-2017 at 06:26 PM.