Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2016, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what nobody explained yet, is that the camera in the second two shots overexposed, thus the flare that you see as "blue haze" just set exposure compensation to -0.7 or similar and you will be fine.

about the filters, usually i keep them on to protect the front element, when walking around and/or being on the move to somewhere. however for critical shots i suggest to remove it.

07-28-2016, 02:10 AM   #17
Forum Member

I am no expert but I would agree that maybe try to get the shots with equivalent amounts of white sky and take the pics both with and without filters - otherwise it is difficult to compare.
I have both those lenses and from my experience if the photo is bad then it has always been my fault. They are both great lenses and capable of taking very nice pictures even with a complete clot like myself behind the camera.

Mind you I didn't get a hood with my 35mm lens - did yours come with one ?

cheers
07-28-2016, 03:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are no dedicated hoods for 50 and 35 plastic-fantastic. I use metal 49mm and 52 mm hoods
07-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
I am no expert but I would agree that maybe try to get the shots with equivalent amounts of white sky and take the pics both with and without filters - otherwise it is difficult to compare.
I have both those lenses and from my experience if the photo is bad then it has always been my fault. They are both great lenses and capable of taking very nice pictures even with a complete clot like myself behind the camera.

Mind you I didn't get a hood with my 35mm lens - did yours come with one ?

cheers
Yes, I wish I had thought of it, but I have been putting skylight filters on as a matter of course for 30-something years, and it just didn't occur to me in time.

07-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
There are no dedicated hoods for 50 and 35 plastic-fantastic. I use metal 49mm and 52 mm hoods

I don't know about the 35, but the DA 50 does have a dedicated hood. The part number is RH-RA52. It is a rubber screw on hood. Good luck finding one though.

To everybody saying you don't need a filter to protect the front of the lens; First off, I use a lens hood and a filter to protect the front of my lenses, all of them except maybe one, which is lens hood only. Two, I have been in the desert southwest shooting photos on very windy days and I would prefer to loose a filter then a lens. Third, when is your income is basically 0, yes, zero, you do everything to protect what you have invested in over the years. Forth, I think I have had only one time since moving to digital where the filter on the front of the lens made the photo bad.
07-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Same reason I do. To protect the front of the lens from being scratched. It is far cheaper to replace a filter than a lens.
If one must use one, what I was asking is why a skylight filter as opposed to UV or protection filter? Years ago I used to use a skylight filter on film.
07-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #22
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I don't know about the 35, but the DA 50 does have a dedicated hood. The part number is RH-RA52. It is a rubber screw on hood. Good luck finding one though.

To everybody saying you don't need a filter to protect the front of the lens; First off, I use a lens hood and a filter to protect the front of my lenses, all of them except maybe one, which is lens hood only. Two, I have been in the desert southwest shooting photos on very windy days and I would prefer to loose a filter then a lens. Third, when is your income is basically 0, yes, zero, you do everything to protect what you have invested in over the years. Forth, I think I have had only one time since moving to digital where the filter on the front of the lens made the photo bad.

Yet the front of our camera lenses are multi coated and rather hard. With a lens hood, scratches on the front element are really difficult to achieve from knocking the lens around..

I used to spend oodles on protective UV filters for my lenses.. I noticed there is a slight (but noticeable sharpness decrease with using them -- more glass, more problems) so I tried without it... that was several years ago. I still haven't scratched a lens. They're more durable than I think many of us give credit.

But really if it works for you go for it! It is your money and your photos.

That said, for testing/comparing IQ of lenses, please remove the filters to see what the lens can really do.. and fasten a lens hood on it!

07-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
The 35 has two hoods listed, PH-SA49 and RH-RC49. One is round; the other, rectangular.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-50  Photo 
07-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

All the hoods you mention are old hoods from F and FA series lenses, and I don't think they are in production anymore, maybe some old stock somewhere. As for manual for both DA35 and DA50 there is no designated hood at all mentioned. I use myself one like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2000x2000/Kalt_NPMLH49_49mm_Metal_Lens_Hood_357635.jpg for DA35 and almost the same for DA50 just in 52mm thread. Both mine plasticfantastic has Hoya fusion UV's on them-never had any flare or haze problems
08-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
I totally forgot about this thread, and I meant to come back to it.

I use the extendable (3-position) hood on both the DA 35 and 50. It also serves nicely as a bumper.

Regarding UV filters, the following two frames were taken at about the same time with the DA 50 1.8; one with a Marumi DHG UV filter on and one without it. I cannot remember which was which, and it doesn't seem to make any difference after all. The only thing I had to do was to wait for the wind to stop blowing the tree branches around.
Attached Images

09-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fling the UV filters over that iron fence, RLG. :-)

But make sure you use your flash with a little burst to catch the filters frozen suspended mid air as they fly over.