Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #1

PK- Canon EOS adapter

I bought a PK-EOS adapter because I have tons of equipment for mt K1000 but almost nothing for my new Canon, which I wanna take to Yosemite (and i can't afford that many rolls of film haha). The problem is all my lenses have the step-down tab like in the picture, and it hits the mirror on my dslr. I read somewhere that I can saw it off to make it fit, but would that render the lenses useless on my K1000?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D  Photo 
08-02-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, sawing off the tab (the arrow to the right) will make the lens aperture fully manual. You will still be able to use stop-down metering on your K1000 and most (all?) K-mount cameras, but you will have to work the aperture by hand and meter with the lens stopped down.

As for mirror clearance on your Canon. There usually is no problem with adapting K-mount to Canon crop-sensor cameras, but the aperture actuator generally fouls the mirror on FF digital and film SLRs. There may even be problems with the rear element of adapted M42 screw mount lenses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-02-2016 at 08:37 AM.
08-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No, removing the tab won't make the lens useless on a K1000, or any other Pentax.

The tab is actually a protector for the aperture lever. It's supposed to guard against knocks or bumps that would bend or damage the lever. Taking it away would only make the aperture lever a bit more vulnerable.

I'm assuming here we're talking about the tab marked with your left arrow.

Your right arrow points to the aperture lever itself, and if that's interfering with your EOS mirror then you do have a problem. Cutting it off will disable the auto aperture. You would have to operate the aperture manually on your K1000, and the metering would be incorrect. If you were mechanically handy, you could remove the lens mount and remove the aperture lever and put it somewhere safe - and re-install it for use on the Pentax later. Honestly, it might be easier to buy a second lens.

Last edited by Ontarian50; 08-02-2016 at 08:13 AM.
08-02-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I'd suggest taking your K1000 to Yosemite and save for a few Canon lenses before you go mutilating your Pentax ones.

Most M42 lenses (which can be bought cheaply) can be adapted to EOS cameras without a problem, I'd suggest a Takumar 55mm f/1.8 to start with - easy to find and superb quality. You'll need an adapter (I got one on ebay for around €15) with an AF confirmation chip.

08-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'd suggest taking your K1000 to Yosemite and save for a few Canon lenses before you go mutilating your Pentax ones.

Most M42 lenses (which can be bought cheaply) can be adapted to EOS cameras without a problem, I'd suggest a Takumar 55mm f/1.8 to start with - easy to find and superb quality. You'll need an adapter (I got one on ebay for around €15) with an AF confirmation chip.

this...

sell your Pentax lenses to Pentax lens-users before you mutilate/destroy the value of them....
08-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
and the metering would be incorrect
Stop-down metering should work fine (same as if using an adapted M42 lens) on the K1000.

Steve
08-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Having a K1000, such a nice camera ( from what i read), it seems a bit odd to buy a canon, because pentax has nice cameras too.

I see a lot of people buy takumars and chop them up to be used on 5d's. it is a bit strange that the people that say pentax offers only a few lenses, and then they spend thousands on a full frame body then buy a relatively cheap pentax lens. weird world we are living in.

I agree with the post above, it is best to choose a system and stay with it, a lot of folks on this forum would use your lenses gladly.

08-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I had a Canon and a pile of Pentax lenses, I'd start selling the Pentax lenses and get a Canon 24mm STM, a Tamron 17-50, and maybe some kind of tele job. And leave the Pentax lenses alone.

Or, you know, buy a Pentax DSLR and enjoy the use of those lenses. No hacksaw required, no ruining the value of existing hardware.
08-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
this...

sell your Pentax lenses to Pentax lens-users before you mutilate/destroy the value of them....
I actually prefer my Pentax to my canon by leaps and bounds, but I'm in a tight spot and just can't afford to buy and develop 5-10 rolls of film right now. I was asking because if it wasn't a big deal to shorten the tab (the one with the left arrow on it) just enough to clear the mirror on my full frame dslr, then I would do it, but I'm not going to do anything to my lenses that would destroy them, which is why I'm asking here.
08-02-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If I had a Canon and a pile of Pentax lenses, I'd start selling the Pentax lenses and get a Canon 24mm STM, a Tamron 17-50, and maybe some kind of tele job. And leave the Pentax lenses alone.

Or, you know, buy a Pentax DSLR and enjoy the use of those lenses. No hacksaw required, no ruining the value of existing hardware.
Unfortunately the college I'm at only carriers Canon equipment, so when I need to borrow stuff I don't have I have to have a canon, which is why I sprung for the 5D instead of a Pentax. If I wasn't on summer break, I'd just borrow the equipment but I can't when I'm not in school

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 09:04 AM ----------

I've had the K1000 for a decade and the canon for less than a year. I'm not selling my equipment.

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 09:06 AM ----------

If y'all want to buy me 5-10 rolls of B&W film I'll gladly take my camera to Yosemite, but that's not gonna happen, so
08-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh, 5D? Forget all my lens suggestions.

I'd still sell the Pentax lenses to someone that doesn't want to take a saw to them.

Why did you come asking Pentax equipment fans about cutting them up if your mind can't be changed?
08-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
Oh, 5D? Forget all my lens suggestions.

I'd still sell the Pentax lenses to someone that doesn't want to take a saw to them.

Why did you come asking Pentax equipment fans about cutting them up if your mind can't be changed?
I am a Pentax fan. I was asking in the advice forum to see if it would hurt the lens
LIKE I SAID BEFORE I don't want to destroy my lenses. I was asking for advice from people who have owned multiple brands before because I've only ever had Pentax up until a year ago. If people said, like they did, that it's going to hurt them, the I will not do it. I am not selling my equipment.
08-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think he wanted to confirm the degree to which the lens would be crippled.

Steve
08-02-2016, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think he wanted to confirm the degree to which the lens would be crippled.

Steve
I was asking to see if it WOULD cripple the lens. That's not my end goal. I saw that someone online said cutting that would work and I came here to the beginners and advice forum to ask for a second opinion. I haven't cut the lenses and I no longer plan to since I've been told it will hurt the lens
08-02-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Sorry you are getting some negative feedback on your first thread, CMC. This tends to be a very supportive community, but sometimes people jump to conclusions or misinterpret what others say. Also be aware that many people will click on threads from the front page, and not even notice what forum the thread is in. I did not realize this was the beginner help forum until you mentioned it. If it were me, I would probably dremel off just enough of the tab to clear the mirror. If you do go with this approach, take a very small amount at a time so you do not remove any more than you need to. Be sure to clean up the cut edge as well so you don't have any small particles falling into your camera.

Have fun in Yosemite! I wish I was on my way there right now.