Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The sun came out of a cloud bank and was heading for another. There were only about two minutes to get it. I thought of trying HDR, but there was little time to play with. Maybe tonight, if Mother Nature co-operates.

Got the sun color right in #3, but the rest is pretty dark. I started out manual with the 135; then I dug out a Tamron 70-300 zoomie which hasn't seen use in years.

Is there a way to lighten the rest of it in post, while leaving the sun's orb alone?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-50  Photo 
08-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #17
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlg118 Quote
Is there a way to lighten the rest of it in post, while leaving the sun's orb alone?
I'm not entirely certain I understand the look for what you are desiring, but from what I gather I made a go at it with the (free) Google Nik Tools using the 'Color Efex Pro 4' module. You could probably also get rather close in just raising the brightness/exposure slider in your editor, but the plugin also affected the contrast 'dynamically' (micro contrast changes).

Left is original and right is affected. Of course there is tons of JPEG compression blotchiness but it still serves to show the effect I think... that is.. if this was the idea in your mind too.

The better bet is to do as some suggested and shoot multiple frames to form an HDR and blend.... or at least layer and mask.
Attached Images

08-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
These are all experiments. I'm still trying to figure out what works.

The manual is not very forthcoming when it comes to explaining the differences between the different HDR modes. When the exposure changes quickly - as it did last night - it's nearly impossible to know if differences are due to camera adjustments or Mother Nature.

Last edited by rlg118; 08-06-2016 at 03:39 PM.
08-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
mee
Site Supporter

I would just take the individual shots and compose the HDR image on the computer... you'll have a ton more leverage of the individual settings and finessing the final output to your desires.