Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 04:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Memory cards slow to write!

I took a long road trip to the Zoo at Birmingham Al and shot just at 600 pictures. My memory card (SanDisk 32gb Extreme Pro) was having fits trying to write to the camera. When i transferred the pictures to my computer via a 3.0 card reader, it took forever, i was looking at 16-26mb transfer speeds. I took all my SanDisk Extreme Pro cards, two 32gb and one 16gb and did some speed tests, copying a 2gb picture file to them got up and down speeds from 18mb to 63mb. Transferring the file back to my desktop got also up and down speeds from 10mb to 32mb I then took a used Samsung 64gb Pro+ and did the same test, i got a steady 65mb until the file was complete. Transferring back to the desktop was so quick, i did not even see the transfer tool. Why waste my money for SanDisk if this is the performance i get Is this normal or do i have defective cards ?

08-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like your cards are either counterfeit, defective, used up, or fragmented. Do you get the same slow speeds following a full format?

If so, and if you bought the sandisk cards from an authorized dealer, simply email sandisk and they will replace the card(s) for free under warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam! I did buy one of the 32gb cards on ebay, but took pictures of it and contacted SanDisk and they told me it was authentic. The other 32gb and 16gb were purchased from B&H. I will try a full format when i get home today, i have only formatted my cards in the camera.
08-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter

There is a software to format SD cards and better than the built in format tool on Windows. If you're using Mac there is one for that too. And it's free:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

08-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
There is a software to format SD cards and better than the built in format tool on Windows. If you're using Mac there is one for that too. And it's free:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Thank you! I will DL and give it a try.
08-04-2016, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Your welcome. Scroll down the page and there is a downloadable user manual too.
08-04-2016, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Thank you! I will DL and give it a try.
When you do be sure to select & use the Full (overwrite) Option selection. That way it will not only format but mark any bad sectors on the card.
08-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Cards will work best if formatted in the camera they are to be used in.

08-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Cards will work best if formatted in the camera they are to be used in.
Most of the time. But OP is having problems with his card and the software I gave him a download for, should fix the problems. From then on OP can format in the camera.
08-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am running Windows 10, this program does not show support for my operating system, will it work? exFat system update KB955704 also is for Windows XP, do I need it for windows 10 ?
08-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I am running Windows 10, this program does not show support for my operating system, will it work? exFat system update KB955704 also is for Windows XP, do I need it for windows 10 ?
I wasn't aware it wouldn't work in Windows 10. You can try though. I would install it then right click the icon, chose properties, then the compatibility tab and run as Windows 8.
As for the update for XP, you don't have XP so you do not need that update.
08-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the help
08-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Thanks so much for the help.
You're welcome! Glad I could help.
08-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I wasn't aware it wouldn't work in Windows 10. You can try though. I would install it then right click the icon, chose properties, then the compatibility tab and run as Windows 8.
As for the update for XP, you don't have XP so you do not need that update.
Well after formatting my SanDisk cards, the write speed is now stable, but is only 25mb/s
08-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Well after formatting my SanDisk cards, the write speed is now stable, but is only 25mb/s
I believe your next step would be to contact Sandisk for replacements. It's evident now that the cards are defective in some way.