Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Interested in the answer as well. I recently took some photos at the county fair at night along with fireworks in AV mode since the Ferris wheel was changing the lighting every 5-10 seconds and i wanted to keep it exposed properly with the fireworks and when using the viewfinder the exposure was much darker than when i used live view and i'm sure there wasn't enough difference in the lighting to make that much difference in the exposure.i used center weighted average for the exposure and kept the Ferris wheel near the center, it almost looks like live view is using full matrix metering rather than the center weighted average selected or at least that the best way i could describe it.My camera is almost new and i see no problem with any photo in any other way.

08-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens are you using? Is the lens one with an aperture ring?
08-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #18

i used the DA 35 F/2.4 lens.
08-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Light entering via the viewfinder when eye not applied to it will bias the exposure reading. With mirror up, the optical path from viewfinder is blocked and only light from through the lens is metered. Always cover the viewfinder when using remotely on a tripod (i.e eye not at viewfinder) Whether this effect could explain an 8 stop difference is a moot point....

08-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #20

Dark photo using viewfinder and bright exposure using live view, as you can see the lighting really didn't change.It was dark behind me so i'm still confused as to the exposure difference plus i always just put my hand in front of the viewfinder if it is bright from behind.Another test will maybe shed some light so to speak.
08-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What were the exposures for those two shots, BShriver?

I'm a little puzzled by your strategy.

You have a lot of area around the wheel, so presumably, you wanted to show it in its environment.

You would want to expose for the carpark and/or sky, right? You expose for that, it's a DSLR, you're in charge. It's how you do fireworks.

Once you walked up to the wheel itself so you could fill the frame, you would expose for its highlights. Again, you wouldn't let a camera make an assessment over the whole image, only the lights are of interest. Take a spot reading of a cluster of them, or do a guess and snap/chimp until you're happy with the result.