Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

K50 Exposure is much different from live view to view finder

K-50 camera is new to me. Bought it in used mint condition from amazon. Still in box, but was open. Live view exposure seems to match basically what my eye is seeing. Whereas when the view finder is used the exposure is much darker. The numbers all change as well.

Example is; Put camera on tripod. Use automatic setting. Take a picture with view finder 1/250 F5.6 iso100 Same picture with live view 1/60 F4.0 iso1600

I have read dozens of threads here and elsewhere. I do not have spot meter on, I have run a 3 second shutter test recommended on one thread.

I can take view finder underexposed picture and enhance after the fact to make a decent picture, but it seems that I should not have to go through this effort.

Why the big difference between view finder and live view.

I hope it is my lack of knowledge of this camera, but I have been messing with it for hours and days and this reading this forum and can not seem to figure it out.

08-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Try with some other than auto setting and see if this repeats itself.
08-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the aperture control block failure mode. Shoot with manual mode at one fixed shutter speed and multiple apertures right throughout the range. If they're all the same dark image then it is the aperture control block failure, and if this happened from the moment you took the camera out of the box, I suspect you were sold faulty goods and should start to seek a refund. That failure normally announces itself sporadically before packing up completely, then becomes more frequent, then becomes total, so it leads me to wonder if this "mint used" camera was really something else.

If you bought it direct from or fulfilled by Amazon, they should be quite willing to help if you are assertive but at the same time polite. If it was a third party seller, you might have more of a problem.
08-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Manual Mode test; one sec shutter 1" F3.5 = ISO100 F4.5 = ISO100 F9.0 = ISO 200 F13 = ISO 200 F20 = ISO200 pictures were all viewable and got lighter (More exposed) as I went. Sounds OK. Location is in side house with camera viewing outdoors to sunny bright day.

Then, same location setting; 1/10 F8.0 = ISO200 F14 = ISO320 F20 = ISO640

Seems aperture is working. Seems like sensor with automatic settings and with view finder is telling camera to underexpose.

This is starting to give me a head ache. Chasing my tail.

08-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
Forgot to answer Stein question. If I use Scene mode I get simialr results with dark picture with view finder and not dark with live view. Logic tells me its a sensor tied into view finder or software tied into view finder and under automatic settings
08-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neptune Quote
Manual Mode test; one sec shutter 1" F3.5 = ISO100 F4.5 = ISO100 F9.0 = ISO 200 F13 = ISO 200 F20 = ISO200 pictures were all viewable and got lighter (More exposed) as I went. Sounds OK. Location is in side house with camera viewing outdoors to sunny bright day.

Then, same location setting; 1/10 F8.0 = ISO200 F14 = ISO320 F20 = ISO640

Seems aperture is working. Seems like sensor with automatic settings and with view finder is telling camera to underexpose.

This is starting to give me a head ache. Chasing my tail.
I'm confused - f/20 even at ISO 200 at 1 second should not be getting lighter than 1 second @ ISO 100 f/3.5 - so if possible could you post pictures with EXIF intact so we can all see them?

Alternatively - set shutter to 1/30th, ISO 100, and shoot at f/3.5, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/22 and then show us if the images get slowly darker. This test would be done without live view and in Manual mode (fixed not AUTO iso).
08-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

Forgot to answer Stein question. If I use Scene mode I get simialr results with dark picture with view finder and not dark with live view. Logic tells me its a sensor tied into view finder or software tied into view finder and under automatic settings
Scene modes are basically "tweaked" automatic modes, avoid them in this case. Go to fully manual and follow instructions UncleVanya gave you. That should give some relevant results. Point is that you shouldn't let the camera decide about anything while you're trying to figure out what's wrong.
08-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Take a picture with view finder 1/250 F5.6 iso100 Same picture with live view 1/60 F4.0 iso1600
- Viewfinder metering is EV100 13
- Liveview metering is EV100 5

The viewfinder meter indicates 8 stops more light than live view.

First of all, the above results do not indicate aperture control block failure.
What they do indicate is that you are getting different metering from the two systems with one being much different than the other. Based on your description of the scene, the viewfinder metering is the more plausible. Possible causes for the discrepancy?
  • The two metering systems work differently. That being said, the difference is usually no more than 1-1.5 EV steps (stops), not eight.
  • Is auto EC turned on by any chance? (Not a likely cause, but I had to ask.)
  • Significant portion of the frame involves the interior space?
  • Camera set for exposure to follow AF focus point?
  • Auto mode playing with your mind?
To put your mind at ease regarding the meter systems, you can do the following:
  • Use a evenly-lit light-colored blank wall as a target. The target should be well-lit in good light (not full sun) and should completely fill the frame.
  • Put camera in Av mode, ISO 100 (manual), f/5.6
  • Using the viewfinder metering, record the shutter speed using multi-segment metering
  • Repeat using live view metering
  • (Optional) Repeat the two steps above using center-weighted and spot metering
The shutter speeds for the above test should be about the same for all readings and if an exposure is made, the histograms should be centered.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-04-2016 at 01:23 PM.
08-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
OK, pictures only got lighter or darker as ISO changed.

UncleVenya, Here are the files

It really seems to be the automatic settings versus manual. If I use any auto setting the exposures are different from live view to view finder. If I use a manual setting and keep the values the same all remains the same from live view to view finder and the pictures look the same. Why would the values Aperture, Time, and ISO all change from live view to view finder when using auto settings?
08-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

It really seems to be the automatic settings versus manual. If I use any auto setting the exposures are different from live view to view finder. If I use a manual setting and keep the values the same all remains the same from live view to view finder and the pictures look the same. Why would the values Aperture, Time, and ISO all change from live view to view finder when using auto settings?
I'm afraid the files don't show up - but maybe you can post them later.

The auto modes are rather complex but let's start with one of the simple ones. Set the camera to Av - set ISO to Manual 100 (or whatever you want) but not AUTO. Then take a shot with the aperture set to f/3.5 in both LV and viewfinder. Take another at f/5.6, and f/8, and f/11 etc. If this looks ok then we need to look more deeply into the modes you were using.
08-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

Try to upgrade the firmware, if it is faulty code, maybe that can fix it, it looks like the controls are working fine, just the orders that go for them are not
08-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

One more on the same topic: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/140328-different-exposure-...ew-finder.html
08-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
UncleVanya and Stevebrot,

I did a reset, so all settings should be factory settings.

My laptop does not like eyefi and it fails to load sometimes, this is one of those times.

I did the Steve test here; AV mode ISO100 F5.6
View Finder Live View Multi Point 1/20 Center Weight 1/15 Center Point 1/20
Live View MP 1/15 CW 2.5 CP 3.0
Note, focus on a flat blank wall is tough did some in manual focus.

And the Uncle test here; AV mode ISO 100
F5.6 view finder = 1/400 very dark Live View = 1/8 nice picture
F3.5 View Finder = 1/800 very dark Live View 1/15 Nice picture
08-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I did the Steve test here; AV mode ISO100 F5.6
View Finder Live View Multi Point 1/20 Center Weight 1/15 Center Point 1/20
Live View MP 1/15 CW 2.5 CP 3.0
Note, focus on a flat blank wall is tough did some in manual focus.
Oops! Forgot to tell you to turn AF off

There is good agreement except for center-weighted and spot metering in Live View. Why those should be so different is a puzzle to me and without having a K-50 in hand, I can't say whether the behavior is expected.

Steve
08-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #15

Original Poster
I should have noted that only the two exposures that were off from the group were visual. All the ones that were in agreement 1/15 or 1/20 were so dark they were not visual.

I am working on upgrading the firmware right now.