Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

pentax 85101 strap

hello
I installed the wrist strap on my camera and I am having problems with the wrist adjusting part,does anyone have any idea on the proper way to fit this strap ??

08-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

Is this the "Pentax Wrist Strap" that comes on the bubble card with no instructions whatsoever? It's got 3 attachment points? Runs about $25 (at least 5 years ago when I got one)?

I bought one, and then bought a Camdapter. Love the Camdapter. Sorry, but I never found anyone publishing "instructions" for the Pentax that seemed to make it work well.

I think Pentax made it as a one-size-fits-all camera strap, which really means it fits nothing.
08-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAX SUPER ME Quote
hello
I installed the wrist strap on my camera and I am having problems with the wrist adjusting part,does anyone have any idea on the proper way to fit this strap ??
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The 85101 wrist strap has been around for awhile and is fairly popular with users on this site. I don't use one, but did a site search and found that long-time member @Canada_Rockies owns, likes, and knows how to adjust the strap. With any luck he will drop in on this thread with suggestions.

Steve
08-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Is this the "Pentax Wrist Strap" that comes on the bubble card with no instructions whatsoever? It's got 3 attachment points? Runs about $25 (at least 5 years ago when I got one)?

I bought one, and then bought a Camdapter. Love the Camdapter. Sorry, but I never found anyone publishing "instructions" for the Pentax that seemed to make it work well.

I think Pentax made it as a one-size-fits-all camera strap, which really means it fits nothing.
Yes it is . I found that the adjustment through the "D" rings is impossible to lock unless you rotate the rings so the flat of the "D" is facing up on both of the rings, is that the correct way?

08-08-2016, 01:11 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAX SUPER ME Quote
Yes it is . I found that the adjustment through the "D" rings is impossible to lock unless you rotate the rings so the flat of the "D" is facing up on both of the rings, is that the correct way?
Well, like I said, I gave up and started using a Camdapter so I don't know. Let's hope the user Steve mentioned drops in.
08-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Let's hope the user Steve mentioned drops in.
I had a short exchange with Canada Rockies and this is what he had to say:
  • First things first: screw the tripod mount end in firmly. If it can move at all it will unscrew itself. I prefer the lip to the back of the camera, but you can feed the strap through the other end so that the lip is against the front of the camera bottom.
  • With the D-GB5 that has rounded edges, I had to mount that connection at an angle so both ends of the mount were in contact with the grip to get it to stay firmly attached, and then tighten the screw as best I could. With the K-10's grip, the lip on the mount held firmly against the straight edge.
  • The second adjustment is the length of the strap at the top of the camera. The D rings on the K-3 make it much easier here, so the loss at the bottom is offset. (Feeding a frayed strap end through the strap mount on the K-10 was a pain.)
  • Feed it through the camera mount, then through the slotted adjustment piece. I find it easier to do this with the snap undone. There is a square plastic loop that can keep the end from flapping in the breeze. It's usually under the snap when you look for it.
  • The hand comes up through the bottom of the rig when it is installed. The wide part is across the back of your hand.
  • Get it installed, then pull the end of the strap hard through the D-ring on the strap and pull it back up over so that it sticks to the hook and loop on the padded part. I find it unnecessary to tighten it too much. When adjusted to taste the strap is not tight anywhere when you hold the camera.
  • I prefer the strap with about 3/8-1/2 inch (1 cm) slack when I am holding the camera firmly. When I let go of the camera, it stays so that my fingers are touching the grip and all I have to do is close my fingers to bring the camera to the ready position.
I hope this helps.

Steve