Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

Can't get K-1 to update (resolved)

Somehow I can't seem to be able to get the update prompt by "turning the camera on while pressing the menu button". I'm doing the same procedure that I did to update from v1.00 to v1.10 but the prompt never comes. The camera just turns on as if the .bin file isn't there. Idk... tried multiple formatted cards... I'm perplexed and pissed

08-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cam_abyss Quote
Somehow I can't seem to be able to get the update prompt by "turning the camera on while pressing the menu button". I'm doing the same procedure that I did to update from v1.00 to v1.10 but the prompt never comes. The camera just turns on as if the .bin file isn't there. Idk... tried multiple formatted cards... I'm perplexed and pissed
Usually one of these is the culprit:

1. update file misplaced (should be in the root directory, i.e. outside of any folder)
2. update file not extracted
3. incorrect update downloaded (Pentax released three v1.20's yesterday)
4. update not in SD1 (also be sure to remove SD2, just in case)
5. battery not fully charged

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Usually one of these is the culprit:

1. update file misplaced (should be in the root directory, i.e. outside of any folder)
2. update file not extracted
3. incorrect update downloaded (Pentax released three v1.20's yesterday)
4. update not in SD1 (also be sure to remove SD2, just in case)
5. battery not fully charged
1) File was in root directory (outside of "DCIM" folder)
2) extracted from .zip to .bin
3) correct update downloaded
4) tried both SD1 and SD2 with multiple cards
5) have two fully charged batteries

And 6... since I still had the v1.10 update in my download folder, when I extract the new v1.20 zip, the .bin file that was extracted was given an extra digit. Instead of being fwdc228b.bin, it was extracting as fwdc228b 2.bin. Once I removed the "_2" the update screen came up just fine.

I think Pentax needs to remember to give updates different names so that the extraction file isn't given another differentiating digit in the case that another (older) update is still sitting in your Downloads folder.
08-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #4

I think Pentax needs to remember to give updates different names so that the extraction file isn't given another differentiating digit in the case that another (older) update is still sitting in your Downloads folder.
Yes, that is annoying, you have to use the same file name every time.

I keep the previous version .zip files so I can go back if needed.

08-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) File was in root directory (outside of "DCIM" folder)
2) extracted from .zip to .bin
3) correct update downloaded
4) tried both SD1 and SD2 with multiple cards
5) have two fully charged batteries

And 6... since I still had the v1.10 update in my download folder, when I extract the new v1.20 zip, the .bin file that was extracted was given an extra digit. Instead of being fwdc228b.bin, it was extracting as fwdc228b 2.bin. Once I removed the "_2" the update screen came up just fine.

Noted next time someone asks! Though I guess you could still argue the file was misplaced

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
I keep the previous version .zip files so I can go back if needed.
There doesn't appear to be a way for the end-user to "downgrade" to a previous version.

Using one filename is probably a way to help keeping the wrong firmware for a different camera from being loaded. I had to apply four updates to the firmware on my Kindle. The fourth update wasn't even being recognized until I noticed I had downloaded the file for a different model of Kindle which had a slightly different name on the file.

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-05-2016 at 01:18 AM.
08-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Using one filename is probably a way to help keeping the wrong firmware for a different camera from being loaded. I had to apply four updates to the firmware on my Kindle. The fourth update wasn't even being recognized until I noticed I had downloaded the file for a different model of Kindle which had a slightly different name on the file.
But not the best way to do that. It wouldn't be difficult to build a code into the filename that precluded that issue, for example if the first four characters are a model number and the last two are a version code; the device's firmware update routine could still only accept appropriately-named files without a need for them all to have identical names.