Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As for my other question re the dof scale, I will assume that the bars to the R of the prominent vertical bar represent 8 16 and 22 so this lens does have adequate information to perform zone focusing and hyperfocal distance focusing. The red dot has to do with infrared film. Is this correct?
Also, will someone comment on the history and what distinguishes Rokinon and Rikenon?

08-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
As for my other question re the dof scale, I will assume that the bars to the R of the prominent vertical bar represent 8 16 and 22 so this lens does have adequate information to perform zone focusing and hyperfocal distance focusing. The red dot has to do with infrared film. Is this correct?
Are you referring here to the Rik f/2.0mm or the SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.4 50mm lens per your post #8 ?

You should do some self help internet searches. Then do some trial photos. The dof is a property of the focal length and f/- , and your viewer,
rather than the part number of the lens. DOF scales on 40 year old lenses had different criterea.
There is no "binary" answer to your query, in my opinion.
08-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was referring to the Pentax lens. The absence of the more extensive numbering on the new Pentax compared to the Rikenon threw me and my unfamiliarty with old vs new in general didn't help. I think skodadriver answered the question in an earlier post to this thread and I glanced over it. I have obtained a copy of Photography by London, Stone and Upton today so I can get some self help. Thanks to everyone for the guidance.
08-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Also, will someone comment on the history and what distinguishes Rokinon and Rikenon?
Two different brands that are unrelated... Just similar names.

08-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Rikenon is the name applied to Ricoh lenses, specifically those from the film era when Ricoh was a separate entity from, and in competition with, Pentax, making lenses in its own right; Rokinon is one of several names which have been applied to a particular manufacturer (Korean IIRC) which are also sold as Samyang and Bower among others.
08-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

To muddy the waters a bit more...

I've read that later some Ricoh cameras and lenses were made by other manufacturer(s), Cosina perhaps...

Chris
08-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is even a Rikenon lens made by Pentax. The xr Rikenon 28mm F3.5 is the same lens as the Pentax-m 28mm F3.5

Last edited by D1N0; 08-08-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Ehm
08-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There is even a Rikenon lens made by Pentax. The xr Rikenon 28mm F3.5 is the same lens as the Pentax-m 35mm F3.5
Hilariously ironic in view of the current situation. Almost a foreboding?

08-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter

There is even a Rikenon lens made by Pentax. The xr Rikenon 28mm F3.5 is the same lens as the Pentax-m 28mm F3.5
Ditto for the XR Rikenon 200/4 and Pentax-M 200/4.

Steve
08-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have owned both. They are similar but not identical. But still possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ditto for the XR Rikenon 200/4 and Pentax-M 200/4.
I have never seen the XR Rikenon 200/4 lens. Do you have a photo?

Chris
08-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've read that later some Ricoh cameras and lenses were made by other manufacturer(s), Cosina perhaps...
At one point, I think Cosina was making cameras for everyone! Just kidding, though from the 1990s on, their platform was being used for some SLR models of Ricoh, Nikon (to this day), Cosina (duh), Voigtlander (fair enough), Vivitar, Contax, Olympus, and numerous store brands. Most (all?) were derived from the CT series bodies. The diagnostic "tribal markings" are the shutter release button, wind lever, and (some) film door design as well as viewfinder display and film chamber details.

As for lenses, it is hard to pin down, though Cosina may very likely have been in the mix along with the usual bunch of OEM makers such as Tomioka, Kino Precision, and maybe even some in-house product . One thing that is generally true is that the Rikenons are on a par with their Japanese contemporaries in terms of build and and optical performance and are worth a look-see if you run across one.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-08-2016 at 05:18 PM.
08-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have never seen the XR Rikenon 200/4 lens. Do you have a photo?
There are some comparison postings on the Internet. The photo on the review here at PF shows a lens identical to my Pentax-M 200/4 except for imprint. The specifications are reportedly the same.

Ricoh 200mm XR Rikenon f/4 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Steve
08-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #28
Pentaxian

With the advent of AF the quality of many manufacturers manual focus SLR lenses began to decline.
I do agree that those early XR Rikenons are very well-made and optically very good.

I own a Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R rangefinder camera, which shares many parts with their vanilla SLR.
The Leicaphiles wouldn't be caught dead with one but I like it very much, and it has never let me down.
And the Cosina Voigtlander rangefinder lenses are superb, at a fraction of the cost of Leica lenses.

Chris
08-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #29
Site Supporter

The one bummer about Rikenons is that they only click at full stops, whereas the Pentax and other brands have half-stop clicks as well.
I've owned several Rikenon and enjoyed them a lot, especially the little 70-150 f/4 XR I see a couple on auction - very tempting!
08-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The one bummer about Rikenons is that they only click at full stops,
The exception is of course when wide-open is something other than a standard stop - then you can sometimes get a 1+ stop jump to the next regulation full stop! (I'm pretty sure, for example, that my Rikenon-P 55/1.2 goes straight from 1.2 to 2.0, bypassing 1.4).

The other major problem I've had with a lot of the Rikenons is that they only go up to f/16 rather than f/22 for the contemporary Pentax lenses, which can be a pain for fast films in bright light. All that being said, the full-stop arrangement does simplify things a little for the user sometimes, though not when I've got one of the Rikenons on my MX and it's giving me that annoying yellow LED...