Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Rikinon 50mm 1:2 lens

I have this lens on a Ricoh XR 7. Is there an adapter that will allow its use on a K 50? I am attempting to use zone focusing and hyperfocal distance focusing and my new SMC FA 50mm 1.4 does not have the markings to do so in the traditional sense. I would appreciate guidance on how to the use markings that are on my new lens as well. Thanks

08-07-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can just put it straight on - Ricoh lenses are all Pentax-compatible inasfar as the mount is concerned. The only thing they don't do is support each other's auto aperture functions (Rikenon P and Pentax A or subsequent)

If it is a Rikenon XR, there are no worries; if it is a Rikenon P, there is a small pin that controls the lens's auto aperture functions just where the Pentax AF screwdrive slot is. Look up "Ricoh Pin". On genuine Ricoh P lenses, this is rounded and rises up out of the slot; I've got two I use on my K-5 with no problems. In third party lenses it can become jammed in the slot and needs to be removed before you can use it safely on Pentax AF cameras (film or digital).

You will need to watch this first:

08-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Watch out for the ricoh pin. The lens can get stuck because of it. When it is a lens with a green p on it it will have one.
08-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Once you have enabled the aperture ring function on your camera, read up on green button metering and established that you do not have a Ricoh pin problem.....the zone focussing and hyperfocal facility on the lens will be scale with the red line and dot showing some aperture numbers either side of the red line. Ignore the red dot, it is for infra-red purposes.
I am going to refer to my Rikenon 50mm F:2 which has no "P" or "XR" on the front of the lens, assuming it will be much the same for other variants.
You will see the aperture numbers to the left and right of the red line, if you choose an aperture e.g. F:16, set the left hand16 to line up infinity on the distance scale and look to the 16 on the right hand scale, you will see it refers to just under 10 feet on the distance scale. If you were to fire off the camera (after green button aperture reading), everything between 10 feet and infinity should "in focus" and anything nearer than just under 10 feet will not be.

08-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

I have this lens, its one of my personal favs Never had any problems with it on my K-30, and now on K-S2. Very sharp even at F2.
08-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

These "sharp wide open at f/2" lenses make me wonder if they are a design which was not so sharp at f/1.4 but worked nicely closed down a stop... No point in letting a reasonable design go to waste; just redesign the aperture mechanism to go no further than f/2 and away you go.
08-07-2016, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #7

Well,that might be true, its way sharper than for example any Pentax 50/2 manual prime I had(and got my hands on most of them excluding only the M version).
This was taken on F2 as I can remember https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/max_1200/02687724994805.5634595870918.jpeg
I would be perfectly happy to get it in autofocus and modern coating.
08-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oops I misspelled Rikenon. I find no P on the lens. Any recommendation for maintenance on the camera and lens? I am corresponding w Precision Camera re warrantly work on a Pentax 16-85mm lens and will probably use them for this camera and lens as well unless advised to look elsewhere for this older product.
Please explain the numbers on the new SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.4 50mm lens and how to use them and if they can be used for establishing zone focusing and hyperfocal distance focusing. The manual is not very useful. So you don't have to drag out your own lens the markings are as follows: from the camera body moving toward the front of the lens there is the aperture ring with from L to R-an A and the apertures from 22 to 1.4, next is a depth of field scale w the following numbers from L to R-22 16 8 red dot vertical bar 3 smaller bars and lastly a window w the distance scale from L to R the infinity symbol to 1.55 f/0.45m.
As always thanks for the help. Buddy

08-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
These "sharp wide open at f/2" lenses make me wonder if they are a design which was not so sharp at f/1.4 but worked nicely closed down a stop... No point in letting a reasonable design go to waste; just redesign the aperture mechanism to go no further than f/2 and away you go.
I read a review of 50mm lenses from 1967, and the conclusion was that the slower lenses (f1.7 or f2, for example) were nearly all sharper wide open than the faster lenses at 1.7 or 2.0, regardless of brand.

That doesn't seem to have changed in the past 50 years... They just seem to have different goals...

But the mid-range lenses do seem to have a lot of similarities with the entry level ones. Aren't the 55f1.8 and 55f2.0 K lenses supposed to be basically the same but with a mask on the slower one?

-Eric
08-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Oops I misspelled Rikenon. I find no P on the lens. Any recommendation for maintenance on the camera and lens?
Assuming all is in working order, your Ricoh XR7 is a fine camera and a pleasure to use. I have been a proud owner since 1982. In regards to maintenance, the standard answer is to have a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) done. Your local camera repair place should be able to do this. If you don't want a full CLA, at very least, it will likely need to have its foam light seals and mirror foam replaced. These degrade with age into dust and/or a gooey mess. You can test their condition by touching them with a toothpick or similar wooden splint. The foam should be resilient and not dried up or sticky. You can buy a kit to do the replacement. I heartily recommend those from Jon Goodman. His kits are excellent, have very good instructions, and are very reasonably priced at about $10 USD including postage. Send me a private message for his e-mail address.

As for the lens, aside from surface cleaning, there is probably little that needs to be done in terms of maintenance. I have two XR Rikenon 50/2 lenses that came with two different bodies and have found them to be impressively sharp with good contrast and build quality. The only thing I have had to do with them is minor touch-up of the lettering on the lens barrel. This was done with a lacquer crayon.

You can download the Ricoh XR7 manual from the Butkus site. If you find it useful, remember to drop him a donation via PayPal.

Ricoh Camera instruction manuals

Steve
08-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
I have this lens, its one of my personal favs Never had any problems with it on my K-30, and now on K-S2. Very sharp even at F2.
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Well,that might be true, its way sharper than for example any Pentax 50/2 manual prime I had
Unlike the Pentax-M and Pentax-A 50/2 (both fairly average lenses), there was no step down in optical quality with the XR Rikenon 50/2 from the f/1.7 and f/1.4 normal lenses.

The XR Rikenon 50/2 does not share design with its f/1.4 and f/1.7 stablemates other than all being Planar-derived.* All three are quite different lenses with the 50/2 having attained sort of cult status. Rumors have circulated that it was tested as being the sharpest lens available back when it was made. I have not been able to find the source of those rumors, but can attest that the XR Rikenon 50/2 is a very sharp lens, but at the penalty of having very "nervous" bokeh at moderate apertures. I have two copies, attached to two Ricoh cameras, and find them to be quite nice lenses.

Steve

* Almost all Japanese fast 50s from the 60s through to the present trace their design heritage to the Zeiss Planar. As a result, most are very good to excellent lenses with decent performance across the frame, though somewhat less so, wide open.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.
08-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter

There were several versions of the Rikenon 50/2 K-mount lens, including a "pancake" model. All are more compact than faster Ricoh 50's.
Early Sears 50mm K-mount lenses were made by Ricoh as well. These were sold with Sears brand rebadged Ricoh XR series cameras.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.
08-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a xr rikenon 50mm F2 and xr rikenon 50mm F2 L. (there is also an S out there) Only the one without an additional letter (S or L) has a metal body of better build quality. The L is softer and less contrasty wide open. (some people like it for portraits because of that). While it is certainly sharp, I can't say it is the sharpest 50 out there.

xr rikenon 100% crop:

L version 100% crop:

Last edited by D1N0; 08-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.
08-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

No, if you look at the size of the elements it's definitely an f2 design. Just a very well done one. I've had this lens and I would have kept it if the focus ring wasn't so short (and I have other 50s...)

---------- Post added 08-07-16 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There were several versions of the Rikenon 50/2 K-mount lens, including a "pancake" model. All are more compact than faster Ricoh 50's.
Early Sears 50mm K-mount lenses were made by Ricoh as well. These were sold with Sears brand rebadged Ricoh XR series cameras.

Chris
I had the 50 1.7 and 50 f2 (both branded Auto Sears, otherwise identical to the Rikenon XRs) and the 50 1.7 was actually a bit smaller. The f2 was a bit sharper, sharpest 50 I owned until I bought the Rikenon P 50 1.4 (much better than the Rikenon XR 50 1.4). Now I kind of want to get a Rikenon f2 again to see how they compare...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 08-07-2016 at 07:47 PM.
08-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought about the Rikenon 50/2 pancake when I saw one floating around a little while ago, but the listed dimensions did not make it appear that much smaller than an SMC-A 50/2. If it had been more in SMC-M 40/2.8 territory, I might have snapped it up.