Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
IQ

Hi. Sorry to seem a bit thick. I've read that the K3 IQ is better than the K5. How can you tell its better. I've compared The K5 to theK200 and to be honest I'm struggling to see much difference. Is this where pixel peeping is done to see the difference?

08-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

In a word, yes

If possible, a good test would be to take the K-5 and K-200 and, using the same lens with the same aperture settings, take the same photo (in RAW, not JPEG) with both cameras at every available ISO, then compare them side by side on-screen at 100% or "1:1" reproduction (pixel-peeping ),. The first thing you'd notice with the K-5 photos is that they're sharper. Secondly, there'd be less colour and luminance noise in the K-5 photos than those from the K-200, especially in the higher ISO sensitivities. Thirdly, you'd find that when using post-processing software like Adobe Lightroom or Camera Raw (in Photoshop), you'd be able recover more shadow and highlight detail from the K-5 photos - again, particularly at higher ISOs - because of increased dynamic range.

However, whether intentionally or otherwise, you bring up an excellent point... Photos taken on either camera at reasonable ISO settings, viewed at typical reproduction sizes on a PC screen, can look remarkably similar between the two cameras (so similar that most people wouldn't be able to tell you which camera they were from). Which is why I still use my K-5 quite often, even though I have a K-3 as my main camera.
08-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

difference in IQ would up in large prints
08-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Is this where pixel peeping is done to see the difference?
Yep. At any normal viewing or printing size I suggest it would be difficult or impossible to tell if the image was taken with a k-5 or k-3 or a k-1. The differences start to appear as you move outside the center sweet spot of good light, low ISO, f/8 aperture and a reasonable shutter speed or start to blow up the image by pixel peeping at 200% or printing at very large sizes.

That said I shot the k-5IIs and K-3 side by side for about 3 months and the k-3 (to my eyes) consistently delivered a 'better' image, but that is totally subjective. I've retired the K-5IIS and now shoot the K-3II as my second body to the K-1 and again even though the k-3II is an excellent camera the K-1 delivers (to my eyes) a 'better' image. And again that is totally subjective.