Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
warped battery?

So I went on a trip this week, with my k30, a 28 2.8, and two batteries. 1 lasted the whole trip, and I went to change the battery on the last day, but it appeared bloated and wouldn't fit in the camera smoothly. It is a 3rd party battery, but I have used it for the 3 years I've had the camera, no problem. Could it be because it was left in the car in a black bag in the sun? If it returns to normal size, is it safe to use?
Thanks!

08-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I would get rid of the bloated battery......toast or potential fire hazard
08-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
So I went on a trip this week, with my k30, a 28 2.8, and two batteries. 1 lasted the whole trip, and I went to change the battery on the last day, but it appeared bloated and wouldn't fit in the camera smoothly. It is a 3rd party battery, but I have used it for the 3 years I've had the camera, no problem. Could it be because it was left in the car in a black bag in the sun? If it returns to normal size, is it safe to use?
Thanks!
Get rid of the battery, safely, and fast, flammable gases have been released, inside the battery, and that's what's making it bloated.
08-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer...

I would not attempt to force that battery back into the camera - safely dispose of it and replace it with either an OEM or a Watson battery...

08-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You are lucky that you are able to remove the bloated battery out of the slot. I would dispose it properly and replace it with a fresh OEM battery. I also learned my lesson not to leave the camera in the car during the hot weather condition. My Pentax Q is toasted with the dead bloated battery.
08-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks!
Funny I had the exact thing happen to one off my K30's battery but it was not in the camera. I also kept the K30 with a DA16-45 f4 mounted on it, in my car. The battery was a used no name 3rd party battery I got with the camera.
08-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Heat from any source is the number one killer of batteries.
08-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Clarification, it was my second battery that was charged that was bloated - luckily not the one in my camera! I'd started just carrying the camera around and leaving the bag in the car, for more compactness.

Will dispose of the battery pronto. I noticed most of you are recommending Watson or OEM batteries - any reason to get Watson over other brands, like Wasabi? My 3rd party battery was a random brand, but Wasabi seems to a common brand. Comes with a handy charger too, more useful for traveling than the OEM Pentax charger.

thanks everyone!

08-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Wasabi battery? I bought a Wasabi that bulged or warped after about 1-1/2 years moderate use, mine however was never left in a hot location or in the sun.
08-08-2016, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #10

Clarification, it was my second battery that was charged that was bloated - luckily not the one in my camera! I'd started just carrying the camera around and leaving the bag in the car, for more compactness.

Will dispose of the battery pronto. I noticed most of you are recommending Watson or OEM batteries - any reason to get Watson over other brands, like Wasabi? My 3rd party battery was a random brand, but Wasabi seems to a common brand. Comes with a handy charger too, more useful for traveling than the OEM Pentax charger.

thanks everyone!
The problem is that wasabi is too hot -- the brand is a warning. You can get away with Horseradish batteries, Mustard batteries, perhaps Black Pepper batteries. Habanero batteries are right out.
08-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had no problems using either Wasabi or DSTE batteries. Stay away from the quick charger that they are often packaged with. Those will ruin batteries rapidly. Yes, the Wasabi charger is too hot
08-08-2016, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

When lithium batteries start dying they begin to expand. I've had numerous cellphone batteries die. I do like having phones with accessible batteries, since they only last so long.
Many electronics stores have collection bins for old lithium batteries. Whether they eventually get recycled you can't control but you can at least try.
08-08-2016, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
When lithium batteries start dying they begin to expand. I've had numerous cellphone batteries die. I do like having phones with accessible batteries, since they only last so long.
Many electronics stores have collection bins for old lithium batteries. Whether they eventually get recycled you can't control but you can at least try.
Many large municipalities ask that batteries be brought to their "household hazardous waste" depots (which also accept used motor oil, used paint thinner, oil-based paints, etc.). The municipalities' reason for doing this is one of two reasons: 1) if the municipality buries its garbage, it wants to prevent toxins (like the heavy metals in batteries) from being buried in the sanitary landfill -- it doesn't want the rain that leaches down through the landfill to carry toxins into the local groundwater, or 2) if the municipality burns its garbage, it doesn't want the batteries to burn uncontrollably (some metals burn very, very hot) or explode. Hazardous waste is stored in leak-proof facilities or recycled by manufacturers.
« IQ | Power ? »