Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 03:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-r / HD 15mm Mirror Flop Problem

This is an issue about the (well documented) K-r mirror flop problem. I'm posting because my problem seems to be slightly different to others, and because I have one main question I'm hoping someone might be able to answer.

The problem:

-With a newly acquired (but second hand) HD 15mm, my 4 year old K-r (so out of guarantee) worked absolutely fine for around 300-400 shots, then the mirror suddenly started to fire randomly every time I pressed any button, with the viewfinder heavily blurred and dim and the camera basically useless due to the mirror (couldn't take pictures or anything). This seems to be typical of the mirror flop issue others have noted.

-I fixed the problem by unmounting the lens, pushing down the aperture lever inside the camera and releasing (this was a trick posted somewhere on this forum), then mounting another lens (the camera works fine with all my other lenses, both automatic and semi/fully manual). Once I've done this the camera works as before with no issues.

-Now every time I mount the HD 15mm I can take one shot, then for a few shots the viewfinder etc. will work (though seems to be a bit out of focus?), but if I fire the shutter it seems to work without actually taking a picture (which is pretty useless), before descending into the random mirror flop with every button and having the viewfinder totally blurred and dim, requiring the aperture lever fix.

The Solutions I have Tried (No success)

-I've tried using the AA battery holder as some people mentioned this had solved their flop.

-I've updated the firmware.

-I've cleaned the contacts (both camera and lens) though admittedly not very carefully.

-Lastly, not a fix but I've had a look at the lens aperture lever, cannot see any bends or anything, it moves back and forth smoothly when pushed.

What I Want to Know

-If anyone has any ideas about how to fix this that would be awesome... but what I really want to know is whether this seems to be a problem with the camera or the lens?

-I'd be more surprised if it was the lens as I can't see anything wrong and the camera is getting on a little, but since the camera works with all the other lenses I'm becoming less sure...? I've been thinking about upgrading and this almost pushed me into doing so sooner than I was going to, but I don't want to if it's a problem with the lens rather than the camera- as the HD 15mm is my most significant investment (typical that it would be the one that doesn't work...) I'd like it to work on any new camera!

-I'm also particularly confused as the camera and lens worked fine for quite a while before breaking so I figure the lens aperture lever can't be bent or something like that.

Thanks,

Nick

08-10-2016, 04:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by njleach.1 Quote
-If anyone has any ideas about how to fix this that would be awesome... but what I really want to know is whether this seems to be a problem with the camera or the lens?
Mirror flop is generally a camera problem, but
QuoteOriginally posted by njleach.1 Quote
but since the camera works with all the other lenses I'm becoming less sure...?
This is kind of odd, I guess. Which other lenses did you use?

I would recommend you go through the previous steps again - make sure the lens mount is clean and doesn't have anything odd on it. Remove the batteries from the camera, charge them, then leave them outside camera overnight before you try using them again. Then mount a lens that works normally, and try the Reset buttons on the camera (to reset to defaults, note you will lose custom settings).
Another thing to check is the SD card slot - make sure there is nothing broken in there and that it is clean. It is good to make sure none of these are part of the problem, despite you already attempting some of them earlier.
Finally, can you try that HD DA 15mm on another camera? Its a great lens and I find it odd that a lens could trigger mirror flop. Is the lens still in warranty? Maybe you can try getting it exchanged or evaluated by the shop where you bought it.
08-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #3

you could try another HD 15 mm lens in the camera shop. If the problem will persist, it is camera problem
08-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the suggestion of trying another HD 15mm lens. Apart from the mechanical aperture linkage which OP has found in order there is a digital linkage as well. If the chip in the lens malfunctions who knows how the camera would react.

08-11-2016, 03:01 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions!

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This is kind of odd, I guess. Which other lenses did you use?
So the other lenses I've tried are: DA-L 18-55 kit, F 35-70 f3.5-4.5, M 50 f1.7.

I'll try the whole camera clean and reset, and clean the lens contacts better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Finally, can you try that HD DA 15mm on another camera? Its a great lens and I find it odd that a lens could trigger mirror flop.
This is what I want to do, however the only other camera I have easy access to is an ME Super, which I assume wouldn't actually test the aperture mechanism of the lens? If I can find a way to access another camera to try this on I'll definitely do that. In all the other cases of mirror flop I've seen on here it ended up being the camera (except where the aperture lever on the lens was bent which mine isn't) so I'm still feeling it must be the camera or lens contacts even though it works with the other lenses. Unfortunately since I bought the lens from a well known online auction place I don't think I have any warranty etc.

If I get to a decent shop (not many round me!) I'll see if I can try another HD 15mm. I'm hoping it's not a lens problem as the camera is easier to replace (was thinking about upgrading anyway!).

Thanks all