Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dust in a WR lens...

I just purchased the 150-450 a few weeks back (less than 2) and the lens already has some dust on the inside of the front element!!! I can't believe it. I know that it doesn't affect image quality but it's brand new and the lens is a weather resistant lens! Oh, and I haven't even shot with it very much. I've probably taken a total of 100 shots with it. Thoughts? Should I send it back? Am I over reacting?

08-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Same thing happened to me with the DFA 28-105...!?! Had it for about a month, barely used it and certainly not in bad conditions, and it's past the point where I could return it... giant speck right in the middle of the second element. Doesn't affect image quality but probably affects resale value... would they clean it under warranty? Is it worth it to get it cleaned?
08-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nearly every lens I own has dust. Not really an issue. And if the lens is a zoom it will get dust, no way around that WR or not.
08-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
Same thing happened to me with the DFA 28-105...!?! Had it for about a month, barely used it and certainly not in bad conditions, and it's past the point where I could return it... giant speck right in the middle of the second element. Doesn't affect image quality but probably affects resale value... would they clean it under warranty? Is it worth it to get it cleaned?
I really have no idea if it's worth it. To me it shouldn't have a spec of dust in it so soon. But I have no clue what they'd say or if I'm over reacting.

---------- Post added 08-13-16 at 12:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Nearly every lens I own has dust. Not really an issue. And if the lens is a zoom it will get dust, no way around that WR or not.
Thanks for the thoughts and I kinda agree, that's partly why I am asking here in the forum. But internal dust within two weeks of purchase after only taking a few shots with it in my backyard... that seems a little soon for a lens that is sealed in a way that's supposed to protect from weather. That's my opinion.

Maybe I'm trying to figure out if it came with internal dust. Who knows.

08-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
I really have no idea if it's worth it. To me it shouldn't have a spec of dust in it so soon. But I have no clue what they'd say or if I'm over reacting.

Thanks for the thoughts and I kinda agree, that's partly why I am asking here in the forum. But internal dust within two weeks of purchase after only taking a few shots with it in my backyard... that seems a little soon for a lens that is sealed in a way that's supposed to protect from weather. That's my opinion.

Maybe I'm trying to figure out if it came with internal dust. Who knows.
There is no timetable for how long after purchase some dust is going to find its way into a lens, other than usually sooner rather than later.
08-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, it's perfectly normal. Every time you zoom in and out, you suck a lot of air in and out of the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I guess we will never achieve perfection. Although I do love the lens!
08-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Even brand new lenses can have the odd spec of dust and debris - it's just that we don't notice it unless its obvious. Furthermore, the mechanism in zoom lenses pulls air in and pushes air out of the barrel, which inevitably brings dust inside. As has already been said, it's going to happen - not a case of if, but when. I've yet to see a situation where dust makes any difference whatsoever to images.

Don't worry about it - enjoy your wonderful lens

08-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Even brand new lenses can have the odd spec of dust and debris - it's just that we don't notice it unless its obvious. Furthermore, the mechanism in zoom lenses pulls air in and pushes air out of the barrel, which inevitably brings dust inside. As has already been said, it's going to happen - not a case of if, but when. I've yet to see a situation where dust makes any difference whatsoever to images.

Don't worry about it - enjoy your wonderful lens
I have.
It's a Helios lens, which had a speck of dust in a place where it didn't really affect IQ, but the speck was highly visible in all bokeh balls, and it was quite disturbing (taking into account that bokeh is one of the highlights of that lens...)

I removed the back element and cleaned both that one and the second-to-last as best as I could... now there still is dust but it's not as bad as it was before...
...and I'm talking a single, very small piece of dust which could damage the bokeh in a significant way... guess it depends a lot on where (how close to the aperture plane) the dust is...
08-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Well done on resolving it.

I guess, then, the acid test is to determine whether or not any dust or debris affects IQ in any way (including bokeh). If it does (and it's a new lens), off to the service center for cleaning...
08-13-2016, 05:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that WR lenses are "simplified weather resistance to protect against water", while AW lenses (which include all the da* and dfa* lenses) are "dust-proof and water-resistant because each part is individually sealed"

Of course, that 150-450 is supposed to be an AW lens
08-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
But internal dust within two weeks of purchase after only taking a few shots with it in my backyard... that seems a little soon for a lens that is sealed in a way that's supposed to protect from weather.
I think you misunderstand how this works. The lens is a zoom lens, so every time you move the zoom you blow out or suck in a rather large volume of air. The WR lenses are designed to keep out water to some degree, but with all that air moving in and out there will be dust. Hopefully less than with a non sealed lens but still that air is moving in and out.

It might have been in there from the factory of course, or got in during testing, or got in the first time you zoomed the lens. But regardless it was going to happen anyway.
08-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

I think the WR lenses, because of the strong suction force when zooming, pull in more dust than non WR lenses.

I have a DA 16-45 that has traveled with me all around the world over the past 11 years. It has gotten quite dirty, even wet, bumped around, the hood is broken, etc. What I'm saying is it's really been a major workhorse for me and taken probably 20,000 photos yet I don't notice any major dust inside. It is much more "flimsy" than the DFA 28-105 but it doesn't suck in air like a vacuum cleaner whenever you zoom so internally it has held up well.

I've used the DA 16-45 in the rain too. I kind of wonder whether it's actually better than the WR lenses because if you get some raindrops on the extended barrel and zoom in or out, it's not going to siphon the water into a sealed interior. I would just wipe it off before putting it away and it was always fine. After seeing a HUGE almost grain-of-sand sized spec of dust end up inside my DFA 28-105 within a month of light use it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that the weather seals are anything other than gimmicks. I feel like once something gets sucked in there; dust, water, moist air, etc; it's never getting out again where as the DA 16-45 could probably "breathe" a little bit and thus dry out if it did get moist air inside.
08-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

The lens is most vulnerable to dust when it is being changed, there is nothing sealing the rear at this time. Rear lens caps need to be fitted immediately the lens is dismounted.