Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moire pattern in Astrotraced image after export in LR

I have several astro images I took producing moire like patterns when i export them out of Lightroom. It seems, lower res versions aren't affected, but it's when I export the full sized file that the moire patterns emerge. If I turn off NR and sharpening they're less apparent but still there. The preview in LR shows nothing that resembles these patterns at all. Only happens when I export.
Any ideas? COuld this be an issue of moire occouring while astrotracing? Maybe a monitor issue?
Any ideas would be great.

08-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I have several astro images I took producing moire like patterns when i export them out of Lightroom. It seems, lower res versions aren't affected, but it's when I export the full sized file that the moire patterns emerge. If I turn off NR and sharpening they're less apparent but still there. The preview in LR shows nothing that resembles these patterns at all. Only happens when I export.
Any ideas? COuld this be an issue of moire occouring while astrotracing? Maybe a monitor issue?
it would be interesting to see full resolution image.
I recently did shoot with astrotracer enabled but did not see any moire in the exported picture. One thing that you can see is square patern under very careful examination of enlarged picture, but only in some magnitude of enlargement - it dissapears when you enlarge more or less.
08-13-2016, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're using the astrotracer, I don't think moire should be showing up (perhaps just color noise or aliasing related to scaling).

But as I learned the other day in the K-70 forum, apparently it's otherwise a good idea to use the AA filter simulator for astro shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
it would be interesting to see full resolution image.
Can you provide links to the full resolution RAW file, full resolution exported image (set Lightroom to retain metadata) file, and also post a full-resolution crop (say 800 pixels on the long side) showing the artifact?

Steve

08-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for responding folks. I've discovered that the issue is arising in the export from Affinity. I blend the astro traced image with a non-tracked image to keep foreground sharp in Affinity Photo and something on the export of Affinity is causing this. I just re-did all the edits, minus sharpening (as i suspected that was the culprit) but instead of curved lines this time around, I have verticle lines. I have a feeling it may be because I used a developed Pixel shift resolution image on the foreground, so it's possible their is conflict happening between the foreground and sky pixels.
Here's a full res jpg of the most recent edit:
Save
08-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for responding folks. I've discovered that the issue is arising in the export from Affinity. I blend the astro traced image with a non-tracked image to keep foreground sharp in Affinity Photo and something on the export of Affinity is causing this. I just re-did all the edits, minus sharpening (as i suspected that was the culprit) but instead of curved lines this time around, I have verticle lines. I have a feeling it may be because I used a developed Pixel shift resolution image on the foreground, so it's possible their is conflict happening between the foreground and sky pixels.
Here's a full res jpg of the most recent edit:
Save
nice picture. I hope you will solve your problem
08-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've run into a similar problem (moire) using Elements 11. Using Gimp seemed to solve it. Maybe it's an Adobe problem.

08-14-2016, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I solved it. Just exporting the foreground PSR dng from lightroom, and hence avoiding the development of the entire file, and combining the image as I had before, has seemed to have eliminated the moire like lines in the sky. Somebody more knowledgeable in the mathematics than I am could probably expalin why this happens, but there is clear conflict when adding a 'bayer' pixel pattern sky into a 'debayered' pixel shift resolution foreground. The export must get confused on what to do, seeing two different types of pixels.
And thanks @Adam for the link to the K70 thread, it was a good read and will look into turning on the AA filter to weak when doing an astro-traced shot. Might help with the colours. As soon as the upload to flickr is done, I'll post it for all to see.

---------- Post added 08-14-2016 at 06:13 PM ----------

Here it is. Seems much better. Now I can finish editing. I'm going to go on over to the Affinity Forum and ask about this I think, see what they have to say. I'd be interested in knowing if Photoshop would treat the files the same way. Now that I think of it, this may be why Affinity was giving me an error when i would try and save some projects: "There are no pixel elements in this project. Flatten the document and save anyway?"; this error would only pop up with a PSR file.

Save
08-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Finished Version. Thanks for being a sounding board folks Sometimes I need to think things aloud to figure out what's going on. Now if anyone could care to explain WHY this happens, I would be interested in hearing!

08-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Finished Version. Thanks for being a sounding board folks Sometimes I need to think things aloud to figure out what's going on. Now if anyone could care to explain WHY this happens, I would be interested in hearing!

The final version looks amazing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The final version looks amazing!
Thanks Adam