Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
-2 points: use of "that" where "who" preferred (when referring to people) and superfluous comma between "it" and "learned" Sorry, I couldn't resist.
That's okay. I'm allowed to make a mistake in grammar once in awhile.

Here's one that drives me crazy:

True facts.

08-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
-2 points: use of "that" where "who" preferred (when referring to people) and superfluous comma between "it" and "learned"
I gave a Like for that one.

Sorry PL.
08-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That's okay. I'm allowed to make a mistake in grammar once in awhile.

Here's one that drives me crazy:

True facts.
That one gets me too. Facts are neither true nor false. They are facts.
08-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If your at +5 now then reducing the focus adjustment to +4 should do the trick, - focus adjustment moves it back and + moves it closer.

08-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I gave a Like for that one.
08-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Helpful. Can I ask a follow-up?

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Maybe a mental image will help.

An image is projected onto the sensor as a three dimensional cone, with the sensor as an intersecting flat plane "slicing" the cone to capture an image. Wherever the sensor intersects the 3d projection, that portion of the image will be in focus.

If the sensor is intersecting the image too "early" (front focus), you need to move the sensor BACK (negative numbers) in the projected image. If the Sensor is intersecting the image too "late" (back focus), you need to move it FORWARD (positive numbers).

Each adjustment moves the sensor within the image cone a small increment. The numbers are not relative, but absolute. You may move the sensor 10 "steps" forward or backward within the projected cone. Zero will always be the middle value and position of the adjustment range.
Good visualization. Thanks. Say I have a 200mm f2.8 on a crop sensor focused at an object 6 meters away (30x focal length) how many mm of front focus would a +10 adjustment make? would it move the optimal focus from 6000 mm to say 5980 or 5990 or 5800...
01-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hey guys.
I've been shooting and learning loads everyday. Slowly acquiring more knowledge and asking more questions.

First off. Should every shooter get a focus card and check their lenses? If so how often. Or only check if you notice something is off. Also would the k50 remember each specific lens and the adjustments? I feel like my k50 never really knows what lens it has since I shoot with older primes and when I import them into lightroom it never seems to know. I imported a friends Nikon images and lightroom new which lens it was shot on automatically

01-18-2017, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera should know all of your Pentax autofocus lenses and apply individual adjustments. Manual focus lenses aren't recognized individually. Third-party lenses might be a gamble. I think zooms only get one adjustment per lens, so you have to decide which focal length to adjust to.

I've never done this focus adjustment. I think it would only matter for a couple of my lenses and they seem to be fine out of the box. But I could be wrong. I bought a lens, tested it a lot, took it on a trip and only then found out it didn't focus to infinity at all..
01-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That one gets me too. Facts are neither true nor false. They are facts.
Can't help you guys on the focus issue....I just wing it and hope for the best.

Grammatical mistakes......I've made a few, a few too many to mention! Some are just typos....someone usually catches them.

Beast Regards!
01-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

FWIW, I think this points out the difference between those who have been educated, and those who have merely been taught. Those that are taught repeat things parrot fashion - those who have been educated think about and understand their learning.

Tony

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 01-19-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: mis-spelling (ironic !)
01-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote

First off. Should every shooter get a focus card and check their lenses? If so how often.
Yes. When you first receive the lens. .