Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is that lux adjustment in instagram

I really like the lux slider in instagram and was wondering if I could replicate it in PSE 14. Lots of google search point to the use of unsharp masking and I think it's pretty close but lux treats dark areas better than unsharp masking. Does anyone have an idea how lux works?

Here's the original image:

And after unsharp masking (amount 80%, radius 80 pixels, threshold 0:

08-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Kind of looks like a clarity slider which increases local contrast and saturation.
08-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know how lux in instagram works, but the effect it has reminds me of the Dehaze feature in Lightroom.
08-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
I don't know how lux in instagram works, but the effect it has reminds me of the Dehaze feature in Lightroom.
I agree. Go to filters - camera raw filters - effects - dehaze and see if it is similar.

08-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, yes the lux tool looks like a lot of these things, I've tried a mixture of clarity, levels, vibrance, dehaze but never quite got close to lux, unsharp masking is really the closest. If I find it I'll post it cause that lux adjustment is really something.