Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
the knob to open the SD card door broke off K20D

I have problem with my K20D, I didn't drop mine, but the knob to open the SD card door broke off. So i have no way to open the door. Thank god for the pc cable so I can still download the images. I'm hoping the card doesn't go bad anytime soon. Any ideas on fixing this or getting the door open.

Last edited by photolady95; 08-16-2016 at 03:50 PM.
08-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K5 is pretty beaten up. It's been dropped a few times with no apparent damage, just scuffs and a shattered add-on screen protector. The 55-300 lens which was attached both times has been repaired once then replaced. I guess it was the "airbag."

For precision equipment, these are pretty rugged beasties.
08-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Since the other thread was seven years old, and your problem isn't you dropped your camera. I've created a new thread for you in the Trouble Shooting and beginner help forum.

You might get more help here than a thread that is seven years old.
08-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Did the flap falloff or the whole knob? If just the flap you may be able to grip the knob with tweezers or needle nose pliers and rotate counter-clockwise to release door.
If the whole knob, you may be able to use a sharp pin to place against the inner portion of the knob and rotate it.
Alternatively, a thin piece of plastic about a quarter inch wide may be able to be worked into the door near the bottom and slide upward to release the catch.
After further consideration, the thin plastic won't work as the locking mechanism is recessed. Could you attach a pic of the broken knob looking straight into it?

Alternatively, you may be able to insert a straight pin on the angle shown in attached picture and push to release the locking mechanism.

Attached Images

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 08-16-2016 at 10:08 PM.
08-17-2016, 02:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Etch a slot into the fracture face of the shaft and use a small screwdriver to turn the shaft.

Alternatively, dab some supa glue onto the blunt end of a toothpick, stick it onto the shaft face and when cured, turn the toothpick to turn the shaft. Don't let any glue wick into the shaft boss. The toothpick end needs to be smaller than the shaft end and the glue merely coating the pick end - no drops.

Last edited by jawsy; 08-17-2016 at 03:02 AM.
08-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I wouldn't stick a pin behind the card door, as that will probably damage the weather sealing.

My guess is you can find something of a similar shape and size in the hardware store, and as suggested, super glue it to the rotating knob.

Last option, buy a cheap, broken K10D or K20D and take the knob off, replacing your broken one.
08-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Did the flap falloff or the whole knob? If just the flap you may be able to grip the knob with tweezers or needle nose pliers and rotate counter-clockwise to release door.
If the whole knob, you may be able to use a sharp pin to place against the inner portion of the knob and rotate it.
Alternatively, a thin piece of plastic about a quarter inch wide may be able to be worked into the door near the bottom and slide upward to release the catch.
After further consideration, the thin plastic won't work as the locking mechanism is recessed. Could you attach a pic of the broken knob looking straight into it?

Alternatively, you may be able to insert a straight pin on the angle shown in attached picture and push to release the locking mechanism.
Whole knob fell out of the body.

---------- Post added 08-23-16 at 06:29 PM ----------

Here's a photo of the knob. Here is a photo of the knob.
08-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolvesrule Quote
Whole knob fell out of the body.

---------- Post added 08-23-16 at 06:29 PM ----------

Here's a photo of the knob. Here is a photo of the knob.
Looks like it is threaded. Silly question, have you tried screwing it back in?

08-26-2016, 04:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes I tried but no luck.
08-26-2016, 04:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I would guess there is a screw that has wound out of that threaded hole and is possibly still in the camera.

It's hard to see in the exploded parts diagram (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/48973-k20d-explo...tml#post469732)

Last edited by p38arover; 08-26-2016 at 05:23 AM.
08-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Can you post a photo of the DSLR side of the issue?
08-27-2016, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

The flats either side of the female thread transmit the drive for the mechanism, the screw has come undone.
Nothing is visible inside the battery compartment. If you are feeling adventurous, there are 13 JIS screws holding the bottom plate of the camera on. It's unlikely that you could do up the screw with the bottom plate removed, but there is an outside chance of releasing the sd card door if the bottom of the door latch is visible. If so, just push it to release the door.

From the exploded diagram, the bits that fell off are A226 and 7, the screw which came undone is CNL-F 1.4X2.0, the back cover has to be removed to reach the bits. the sliding door latch is A211

Last edited by pentasonic49; 08-27-2016 at 01:27 PM.