Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible to load the film incorrectly. The most common would be not getting the "Film Start" arrows lined up with their marks. Another possibility would be not getting the leader properly secured in the take-up spool. I know someone who put the film in backwards, exposing the backing paper instead of the film. I tried to explain to him that's why his negs came out blank. He would have none of it.

The 645 is a very capable camera. I upgraded to the 645n and I am very pleased with it. The up-down buttons are replaced with a control dial, just a wee bit less funky to use. Yes, the LCD stays on, telling you how many shots you have left. That way you don't open the back to see if there is film in it.

08-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photojunkie Quote
This is really appreicated, Alex. I have one question I'm a bit hesitant to ask the group. Is it possible to load the film incorrectly? From the videos I've watched it looks like the film should be loaded in a way that opposes the way it's wound on the spool. I can't recall exactly, but when I loaded my first roll it seemed like it wanted to follow the natural contour. I did see the Start markings on the roll and they lined up with the arrow on the spool holder. I'm trying to decide if I waste this unexposed roll and go back to see if I did this right, or just forge ahead. Thoughts?
I do not know what happens if you load the film incorrectly other than the camera wonʻt fire, something will jam, or you wonʻt getting any exposures.

When you load the film, it should be in a way that opposes the way itʻs wound on the spool. The paper protects the film from light. But when itʻs going to be exposed in the camera, it needs to be exposed so that the paper will be against the pressure plate. If you saw the start marking line up with the arrow, then you should be fine.

Iʻm not sure what you did correctly or not, so consider the current roll a test. BTW: I understand anyoneʻs hesitance to asking questions, but this is really an awesome forum where the only idiot is the troll that has nothing better to do than to belittle someoneʻs question. You gotta just ignore those comments as 99% of the members are here to help or be helped.
08-21-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
Just a note in review here. I wasn't sure if I had loaded the film correctly or not. In thinking through this, I decided it would be better to waste one roll of film as opposed to wasting potential images, the cost of developing a blank roll of film and all of the time! Indeed, I had the the wrong side of the film that would have been exposed to the shutter! What a dope I am! In the end, I did fix the issue.
08-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks once again to all who have provided insight to me on this. Special thanks to Alex and AquaDome for their advice. This group is VERY helpful. I've been making photographs for over 40 years. I started with 35mm film (Olympus OM-1) and then moved into digital (Canon) over the years. I'm strictly an amateur in the true sense of the word. I do this because I love to do it! I'll never feed my family through my photography (thank goodness for day jobs!), but I will feed my passion. I've been studying with John Batdorff in Chicago, and he's gotten me back into film. While you don't get the instant gratification of seeing the images immediately, I am learning to slow down a bit and think about things like composition, exposure, etc. My work with 35mm film got me to thinking about what it would be like to work with a larger format. I've resurrected some photographs my father made with his waist level finder Kodak that used 120 film and some of those images are really cool! I found this used Pentax 645 on line (Victory Camera) and snagged it. The thing seems to be built like a tank! It is a bit quirky (yes Alex, I have had to pull out the batteries and re-insert to get it to fire!), but I'm learning. I think I'm going to have to shoot somewhere around 100 - 200 frames before I'll really get the hang of it. Then again, it's really about the journey.............isn't it?!