Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Problem with SD card?

I had taken a few photos this morning with my K3; SD card slot #1. I downloaded them to my computer & erased them, with a card reader. I then went out & took a few more on the same card. When I inserted the card in the reader, it said "No new images on card"; even though I knew there were; so I lost the additional images. Should I reformate the card in the camera? (I've since used it, & it appears to be ok).

This is the first time I've had a problem. This is a relatively new 32GB SanDisk Ultra.

08-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Did you have a card in slot #2 Carol?
08-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find that erasing or deleting photos from an SD card can cause problems. I think it's better to leave them there (after downloading to your pc), and format the card at some point. Some like to format after every session, but I like to wait until the card is mostly full, if I can.
08-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, both slots had cards. On the camera I have #1 slot for usage. I just use the second card for added storage, if needed.

08-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I find that erasing or deleting photos from an SD card can cause problems. I think it's better to leave them there (after downloading to your pc), and format the card at some point. Some like to format after every session, but I like to wait until the card is mostly full, if I can.
Paul, not deleting the photos after downloaded to computer causes me problems the next download. Then the previous, plus the new images are downloaded. I would then have to delete the previous ones separately, one by one on the computer. This is the first problem I've ever had with a SD card.
08-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yes, both slots had cards. On the camera I have #1 slot for usage. I just use the second card for added storage, if needed.

Check your 2nd card for the missing shots. I have got mine set for card 1 first then card 2. I removed card 1 to view my photographs, reinserted the card to take shots again, and they were being saved to card 2 even though space was remaining on 1. Check with " info " if the order of storage has changed.
08-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carol, I usually make a note of the last file previously downloaded. That way I only download the photos from my latest session. Anyway, SD cards are known to fail, even relatively new ones. I would reformat and try again. If the problem persists, toss it and get a new card.

08-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check your other card, just because you have it set to card #1 does not mean the camera will listen
If you have it set to Card#1 but turn on the camera without card #1 in it the camera will set the default to card #2. Trust me, I've been there more than once.
08-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It could also be my card reader, it's an older one, that's seen a lot of use. Think it's time to get a new one, in case.

Paul, the way my card reader downloads the photos, I cannot pick & choose which to download; they all download at one time.
08-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
pjv & jatrax, thanks for that tip! I never knew/thought of it possibly going to card #2. Now that I think back, I did turn the camera on, without a card in slot 1 until I noticed the slot door open!! So that's no doubt what happened. Just checked card #2, yep the missing ones are there!
08-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Closed Account

yep the missing ones are there!

Excellent news madam. Twin slot cameras are different, and until you have one, most advice from non-owners is only a guess. Glad you don't have to buy a new card or reader !!!
08-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So that's no doubt what happened. Just checked card #2, yep the missing ones are there!
Glad you found them!!

Now the hard part is figuring out how to set the camera back to using card #1 as the default. Just take out card #2 and put in card #1 and cycle the camera on and off, now you can put card #2 back in and all will be well.

As to deleting images my method has always been to format the card in the camera once I put it back. I usually am working through 4 cards and rotate them. When I download a card it goes in the pile and the bottom one in the pile goes back in the camera and gets formatted. That means I still have the images on a card after download for some time, usually a week or so, until it gets formatted. Just for peace of mind.

Also on the K-1 I have started using card #2 as the primary and card #1 as the extra because card #2 is just a bit easier for my fingers to get out. Card #1 is a little tight, not as bad as some older cameras but card #2 is easier.
08-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree Slot #1 is hard to get card in/out; however on the K3, I don't see any way to set Slot #2 as default.

#1 is default, until card is full, then #2 is used.
or saves to both cards
or one for JPEG, other for RAW.

That's all the options.
08-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Excellent news madam. Twin slot cameras are different, and until you have one, most advice from non-owners is only a guess. Glad you don't have to buy a new card or reader !!!
Thanks for your help! I'm still going to get a new card reader, just in case.
08-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #15

Now that the problem has been detected/solved, not much remains to be said. Since I am in the digital world from it's very beginning (my first digital camera couldn't make bigger images than 640x480 pixels and I'm not talking about primitive cameras in mobile phones) had all kind of situations. My first rule is not to delete images from a card by "move" command. Always copy them and check each for readability with a proper app. Sometimes the images simply don't get copied properly and some of them get a certain percent of the surface grayed out. Not usable. Once all the images can be properly open in the computer, the images on the card can be deleted but I never do that, immediately, prefer to make a copy on a separate external hard drive and then delete the content from the card if I know I will need the full capacity. After that, check the functionality of the memory card in the camera. Once it works, I can leave it that way for the next shooting session. I have two 32G SDHC UHS-I cards in my K-3 II and one 16G Kingston micro SD in my K-S1 (usually carry both of them in my backpack) plus one 16G SD card as a spare, just in case. I don't format the memory cards in the computer if I don't have to, rather do that in the camera. Anyway, whatever I do, I always make at least one or two test shots after the memory card has been removed from and returned into the camera. Formatted or not. Better safe than sorry. Learned the hard way not to rely on modern technology just because it is supposed to work fine. It doesn't always, be that a digital camera, a PC, smartphone, whatever...