Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

K-5 Burst

I missed out on a nice photo of a small boat moving slowing slowly through a small shaft of light, good framing about 2 seconds.. I got the light framing perfectly with one click, one frame. But, the man standing on the boat full-waving continuously, lowered his hand momentarily just as I shot. Had I known how to quickly set up a burst shot, I would have gotten his hand fully extended.

How can quickly set up a burst shot with my K-5. The only manual I have is evidently for a different version of K-5. Please see first photo of manual instructions for Continuous Shooting. The second photo is of my camera's Drive Mode.

How can set up a a burst on my camera?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Perfection 2450  Photo 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Burst.pdf (57.0 KB, 115 views)
08-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just checked and it looks like you have the camera set to GREEN mode (auto) on the mode dial... If you select any of the other shooting modes you should find you can select continuous shooting.
08-20-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feature-wise all 3 version of the the K-5 are the same, the later models just got better AF.

Yup, it sounds like you were in green mode. I would recommend setting up a user mode specifically for burst shooting, so that you can switch over as quickly as possible when needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
You were right, Mike. Thanks.

Good suggestion, Adam. Also thanks.

08-23-2016, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I did on my K5 when I was still shooting jpgs. User mode with continuous-high and no lens corrections, image modifications like highlight protection etc. Just base jpg and wow, the camera was FAST. Great for photographing dogs at the park.

Switching to RAW does pretty much all of that since you're not processing in-camera, but the images are bigger so the buffer fills more quickly.

Just be careful if you hand the camera to someone, they'll mash the button down and it will snap 5 or 6 images before they even know what they've done. It's scared a couple people.
08-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I just leave mine in burst mode..... I often take 3 frames when one would do, but, there's no real down side to that. I get to select, and it's amazing how often one abetter than the other two.
08-23-2016, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here, mine is always in continuous high. You get the feel for how that trigger works in a short while, so there's no real downside.