Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I am still on Lightroom 5.7 with the K-3. I haven't upgraded in years, and I can't anyway because my computer is so old. It doesn't bother me too much, I use nik software with it, which is free too. Now if I buy a K-1 I think I will need to upgrade Lightroom and in turn, my computer.
Possibly not. Adobe has the free DNG converter to provide backward compatibility for RAW files from newer cameras with older software, but Pentax supports DNG natively as a RAW format, although I don't know whether even with DNG how the pixel-shift functionality will work in LR, but even without it the K-1 is by all accounts a pretty amazing camera.

I'd imagine the main reason for upgrading the computer would be those massive 36Mpixel RAW files!

08-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Possibly not. Adobe has the free DNG converter to provide backward compatibility for RAW files from newer cameras with older software, but Pentax supports DNG natively as a RAW format, although I don't know whether even with DNG how the pixel-shift functionality will work in LR, but even without it the K-1 is by all accounts a pretty amazing camera.

I'd imagine the main reason for upgrading the computer would be those massive 36Mpixel RAW files!
I don't have enough video RAM. Lightroom needs 1GB. My Mac is early 2008. It's about due though, it's just lower on the list of priorities.
08-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
What about Lightroom 6 in disk for around 140 dollars as opposed to the CC subscription-at 120 dollars per year-for both cameras? Is a cloud backup of some type advisable?
The advantage of the subscription is you get updates, you get Photoshop as well, and some online galleries you can use to post images. If you don't intend to change your cameras for a few years and you don't need Photoshop, then the disk version is fine. You still get minor updates and bug fixes for a year I think, but no new features.

Some sort of backup, cloud or otherwise, is essential. I've been helping out a professional photographer who fell victim to some nasty ransomware. It didn't touch his LR catalogue, but it trashed all his photos. Fortunately he'd kept all the original files on memory cards. He had the attitude memory cards are cheap enough that rather than erasing and recycling them when they filled up just to buy another one. It saved his bacon.
LR saves a list of edits to RAW files in a database rather than altering the RAW files directly, so even if a photo somehow gets deleted outside of LR, LR will still have a record of all the edits done to it, so if you can get the RAW files back, then you don't lose the edits.

Whether to use cloud backup really depends on how much space you need, how fast your internet connection is, and what cost you can get backup. If you've got multi terabytes of photos, buying a couple of external hard drives and alternating them might be cheaper in the long run, although that doesn't protect you if your house burns down. If you do go with external drives, make sure you keep them offline when you're not doing a backup. In the case of the ransomware I had to clean up, it would have trashed any files on a backup drive if it had been attached at the time the malware hit.
08-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Hello. I have using my Pentax K50 for around 9 months. I have taken 100s of images though I have only printed a few that I considered good. I read a very interesting post from back in 2012 by imageman which I can't locate so I will paraphrase, in which he wrote that a DSLR is intended to collect date for processing to create images and prints that are superior to those that have not been processed, unlike a point and shoot which records an image that is nearer a finished printable product without processing. I suppose its by sheer luck that the images I printed were JPEG images processed on Picasa.

I have a computer that I plan to use exclusively for photography to keep everything in one place. Before I purchase Photoshop or another product I want to try the software that is free with the 2 cameras I have. I plan to begin using Silkypix 3.0 that came with my Pentax and the free download from Sony Capture One Express 9 for processing images from my Sony RX 100. Will these products only recognize and process images from one or the other camera? I plan to backup and order prints of my saved images. Am I being unnecessarily complicated in my approach to processing?

I have not made all of the recommended basic setup applications recommended in the forum article on the K50 and I plan to do so but I would appreciate your comments on an observation.
Auto mode gives poor images as indicated by the histogram and live view. M mode is much better. M which should stand for "meter with the Green button then take the picture" and given my current skill level gives the best images as indicated by the histogram and the best live view images when reviewing images. However that leads back to the post by imageman so I suppose I should not make too much of unprocessed images.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Buddy
I think the statement is grossly over exaggerated. There are many forum members who shoot JPEG only (self included) and get excellent printable results.

It has nothing to do with luck that you got printable images. The cameras general metering system is quite good, and if you follow simple rules you should have no issue.

What do you give up between camera RAW (in either PEF or DNG format) and JPEG is really the ability to make huge modifications in exposure and color shift.

The reason is RAW is either 12 or 14 bit and JPEG is 8 bit so what that means is between 4000 (12 bit) or 16000 (14 bit) graduations of each of the colours plus greyscale, as opposed to 256(8 bit) for JPEG. When you do very large adjustments in JPEG you can get banding and blotchy colours, just because you are trying to work out of a greatly reduced range, compared to RAW,

If your exposure is correct or close and color shifts are slight there is no noticeable difference.

You yourself need to decide whether you spend the time getting the short right in camera or spent more time in front of your computer.

08-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Silkypix Pentax software probably won't work with files from another camera. The other Pentax software, Pentax Digital Camera Utility, won't open Pentax images if they've been modified by non-Pentax software. I don't have the Silkypix version to check, so I could be wrong.

Prints are a different media. The print exists to reproduce the image but often you need to help one match the other, plus the original subject and the image in your mind. (The most obvious problem is the computer screen is backlit, while the print is reflective.) A good print shouldn't make you wish people were seeing it on your computer where it looks good.

I have two examples. I printed both images at 24"x36". The first one is just about unchanged from the camera. I know I changed it a little because I can't resist but I doubt I improved it. The image already matched what the print media could do.

This one, I had to reprint twice. It needed to have the dark areas much brighter in the print than on the screen. The file I sent to the printer looks overprocessed on the computer, but the print looks good.

I like using Lightroom 4.4 because it understands files from my camera (K-5 IIs), does well with DNG RAWs, organizes files the way I want, I know what some of the controls do and it's paid for.