Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photo processing and storage

Hello. I have using my Pentax K50 for around 9 months. I have taken 100s of images though I have only printed a few that I considered good. I read a very interesting post from back in 2012 by imageman which I can't locate so I will paraphrase, in which he wrote that a DSLR is intended to collect date for processing to create images and prints that are superior to those that have not been processed, unlike a point and shoot which records an image that is nearer a finished printable product without processing. I suppose its by sheer luck that the images I printed were JPEG images processed on Picasa.

I have a computer that I plan to use exclusively for photography to keep everything in one place. Before I purchase Photoshop or another product I want to try the software that is free with the 2 cameras I have. I plan to begin using Silkypix 3.0 that came with my Pentax and the free download from Sony Capture One Express 9 for processing images from my Sony RX 100. Will these products only recognize and process images from one or the other camera? I plan to backup and order prints of my saved images. Am I being unnecessarily complicated in my approach to processing?

I have not made all of the recommended basic setup applications recommended in the forum article on the K50 and I plan to do so but I would appreciate your comments on an observation.
Auto mode gives poor images as indicated by the histogram and live view. M mode is much better. M which should stand for "meter with the Green button then take the picture" and given my current skill level gives the best images as indicated by the histogram and the best live view images when reviewing images. However that leads back to the post by imageman so I suppose I should not make too much of unprocessed images.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Buddy

08-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
Forum Member

i use to use for ages free picassa, but its discontinued unfortunately but you can still download from some internet sites, its fast and can open dng raw files, its good and easy for simple picture corrections and photo storages,
i have about 50 000 pictures in it, problems start when i purchase k-1 as picassa is not update since last year but jpg's and dng from k200d, k20d, k-r, k-50 work without any problems, for developing you can use raw theraphy its free and work just fine.
08-23-2016, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It sounds like that older thread was referring to shooting RAW images, and yes, these need processing. How good that turns out depends on the knowledge and experience of the person using the software. I'd set the camera to record both jpeg and RAW, and use the RAWs for practise at first. Set up your camera custom image settings as you like them and see if you can get the RAWs to look similar.

Manual exposure mode is really for taking full control over each individual exposure control .... The auto modes will always make a compensating adjustment in response to a change by you (eg, change the aperture and the shutter speed will automatically adjust in response).
08-23-2016, 03:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to use Picasa, but it's RAW processing capabilities and even general editing are minimal. It was fast, and reasonable for organising, cropping, straightening and printing, but not too much else.
I tried RAW Therapee, but found it just too complicated.
I tried Silkypix, bundled with the camera, but still found it a bit fiddly.
I now use Lightroom as part of the Adobe CC Photography plan. It has excellent RAW processing capabilities as well as more advanced catalogue and search capabilities than Picasa, and works well with a wide range of cameras, but it can be slow sometimes, and the need to import images rather than it just automatically recognising files in a location like Picasa is a bit different. Basically if you use Lightroom you don't want to do any file moving or renaming of files or folders outside of LR otherwise you'll mess up its catalogue.
Lightroom is available as a standalone product still if you don't like the idea of subscriptions, and if you were happy with Picasa before, Lightroom can do far more, so having a subscription to get Photoshop as well might not be necessary.
I've used LR with RAW (DNG) files from my K-x and now K-50 for some time now and it's great. Although it's still worth learning to use the modes on your camera, if you have an image that's not quite right, there's a good chance you can correct it from a RAW file, as there's a lot more information than in a JPG. K-50 RAW files are 12 bits per colour, JPG is only 8, and each extra bit represents twice as many shades of colour, so there's a good chance you can rescue details in the shadows or highlights if parts of the image are a bit under or over exposed.
I personally shoot in Av mode most of the time so I can control depth of field, but I check the shutter speed in the viewfinder to make sure it doesn't get too low to cause camera shake. I have the front control dial on my K-50 set up to change ISO and the rear dial for aperture when I'm in Av mode.
If necessary I use exposure compensation when part of an image is really bright or dark, as if you go too far under or over, even Lightroom can't rescue your image.
LR can correct things like white balance, so it's fairly safe to leave that on auto, even if the camera sometimes gets it wrong.
One thing to bear in mind is LR ignores most of the processing settings applied by the camera when you import RAW files, so images using default settings look pretty dull. To avoid having to edit every single image to get them looking reasonable, it's good to adjust an image to your taste, then save the settings as presets, then you can quickly apply them to other images to get the same look.
There is a 30 day trial, so if in doubt, grab a copy and have a play. An advantage of being popular software is there are heaps of video tutorials available on Youtube and Adobe's site.

08-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What about Lightroom 6 in disk for around 140 dollars as opposed to the CC subscription-at 120 dollars per year-for both cameras? Is a cloud backup of some type advisable?
08-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't like the pay by month idea. Buy it upfront and it is yours.
08-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
This is indeed true, but as any feature updates are released, they are available immediately to you on the subscription versions.

For me to have both Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC and Lightroom Mobile in the latest versions for £8.00 odd a month is a no brainer.

I had already bought both Lightroom 5 and Photoshop 6 before they came up with this Cloud offer and I still jumped at the chance to go subscription.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-23-2016 at 07:54 AM.
08-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

But...Adobe doesn't update stand-alone software once it's published a new version.
08-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
or you could work without Adobe all together...
08-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Working with a product other than Lightroom would be easy enough since I have the free products as stated. If I don't upgrade/change cameras, how much am I missing if I purchase software that can't be upgraded? How often and how much does the software actually change? At the price I can buy a new disc every year for about the same money. How about a stand alone cloud backup?
08-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Working with a product other than Lightroom would be easy enough since I have the free products as stated. If I don't upgrade/change cameras, how much am I missing if I purchase software that can't be upgraded? How often and how much does the software actually change? At the price I can buy a new disc every year for about the same money. How about a stand alone cloud backup?
I am still on Lightroom 5.7 with the K-3. I haven't upgraded in years, and I can't anyway because my computer is so old. It doesn't bother me too much, I use nik software with it, which is free too. Now if I buy a K-1 I think I will need to upgrade Lightroom and in turn, my computer.
08-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
How often and how much does the software actually change?
In answer to your question, a quick check of the update history shows that Photoshop has updated 12 times and Lightroom 8 times within the last year.
08-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I run LightZone as my base processor (which is free) and macphun's Creative Kit for everything else; I did download Nik's suite when it became free and use the HDR app; I do have a copy of Photoshop Elements, but hardly ever need it....
08-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There are many advantages to the rental plan over the purchase version. Updates, for example, PS 6 doesn't get any, you have to wait for the next version. PS CC, on the other hand, gets updated regularly as soon as a new update is available. Also, you get both PS CC and Lightroom CC for $10 US a month.
08-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How often and how much does the software actually change?
Upgrades are some new features, new lens, new cameras, some fixes to old updates, so it can be updated a lot

If you have an older computer, there is no point. I can't even go to Lightroom 6 with a rebuilt mac from 2008. I am fine with what I have.
Lightzone is cool and free.