Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
mono filters

Hi Folks. Can anybody advise please. In mono mode using the coloured filters. If you use the red filter, red in the photo gets a lot brighter, towards white. same with the blue filter etc. However, the green has very little effect on green. Any reasons why? Answers gratefully received.

08-27-2016, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #2

Filters are filtering out light, so a red filter stops any not red photon. Red photons are unaffected. It makes the image darker, so the camera compensates it, to maintain correct exposure. But you have only red photos, so only reds can be brightened. This is why it brightens reds. The green is a special case, becase our eyes are most sensitive to green, because the most common photons here on the earth is green. The bayer filter array also has double as much green as red or blue. The green's intensity is aprroximetly the same as the whole intensity (B&W). So if you only filters out not green photons, you maintain much more from the original light, so smaller compensation needed from the camera (metering system).
08-28-2016, 01:54 AM   #3
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
mono filters
Hi Geoff, I found this and hope it helps.

Using Coloured Filters in Black and White Photography | Photography Mad
08-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Using Coloured Filters in Black and White Photography | Photography Mad
This is a great article on these contrast control filters (colored filters used for B&W photography). I used to use these quite a bit when I used film but do not use them anymore with digital. As a digital camera only captures a color image (it gets converted to B&W in camera through the on-board processors), I find it much better to capture the image in color and then do the "filtering" in editing software. If you bring the image in and turn off the Green and Blue channels, then you have the effect of a Red "filter". What's really great is you get to blend the settings turning on and off the channels as you see fit until the image you want is represented on your monitor. I now pretty much only use polarizers, ND and graduated filters (of different colors from color to clear) to work the images in the field. By using the graduated colored filters I do not need to work so hard in the editing software to get the effects I desire.

08-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Thank you for that link. Good to see comparative results.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 06:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
This is a great article on these contrast control filters (colored filters used for B&W photography). I used to use these quite a bit when I used film but do not use them anymore with digital. As a digital camera only captures a color image (it gets converted to B&W in camera through the on-board processors), I find it much better to capture the image in color and then do the "filtering" in editing software. If you bring the image in and turn off the Green and Blue channels, then you have the effect of a Red "filter". What's really great is you get to blend the settings turning on and off the channels as you see fit until the image you want is represented on your monitor. I now pretty much only use polarizers, ND and graduated filters (of different colors from color to clear) to work the images in the field. By using the graduated colored filters I do not need to work so hard in the editing software to get the effects I desire.
Thank for the editing info. I'm no edit wizard. I'll try and have a look at what you mean. Fingers crossed.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 06:55 AM ----------

Thank for the editing info. I'm no edit wizard. I'll try and have a look at what you mean. Fingers crossed.
Just to add. The filtration I used was the in camera filter. I'm like yourself with on lens filters. ND and Pols only
08-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Just to add. The filtration I used was the in camera filter. I'm like yourself with on lens filters. ND and Pols only
FYI, I shoot both RAW and JPG at the same time. It give me options if I just want to pass the image along without much processing. The in-camera processing only effects the JPG images, not the RAW. For serious work, I always work from the RAW images in editing software wch give me many more options!
08-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #7

Original Poster

Ha Ha. Told you I'm no wizard. Can't even see what you mean by colour channels.
08-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
FYI, I shoot both RAW and JPG at the same time. It give me options if I just want to pass the image along without much processing. The in-camera processing only effects the JPG images, not the RAW. For serious work, I always work from the RAW images in editing software wch give me many more options!
Bear in mind that if you use a colored filter+ RAW, the RAW image will take on the color of the filter. ie, if you use a red filter to darken the sky, the RAW image will have a red cast. If you're shooting RAW+JPG don't use a colored filter

08-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

And make sure you are not using Auto White Balance. That will confuse the heck out of the poor camera!