Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need help converting 16-50 to screwdrive

So I am in process of converting my 16-50 from SDM to screw drive and I can't seem to do it with my K3.

I am able to enter debug mode using pktether and I can pull specific camera log files from the camera to the SD card, but I'm unable to pull the lens file (lenseep) to the SD card - there's no black screen or anything that indicates that it writes to the card. As a result, I am unable to backup and subsequently modify the lens firmware.

I can restore it back to normal mode and everything is just as it was.

Is there something I am not doing correctly?

Does the K3 allow me to pull the lens info?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Flipmack; 08-28-2016 at 06:43 AM.
08-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems I read that you need an older model to achieve this. UncleVanya provides this service, so he can verify this.
08-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Seems I read that you need an older model to achieve this. UncleVanya provides this service, so he can verify this.
Thanks. I don't remember reading that...

I may need to find someone locally to help me then...unfortunately, I don't know anyone who shoots Pentax.

Is there anyone in the Orange County, CA (Irvine) area with an older body that I can borrow for a few minutes?
08-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't take my "memory" to be accurate; contact UncleVanya first to be certain if you do need an older model camera to perform this task, and what model is best to do it.

08-28-2016, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Flipmack Quote
Thanks. I don't remember reading that...

I may need to find someone locally to help me then...unfortunately, I don't know anyone who shoots Pentax.

Is there anyone in the Orange County, CA (Irvine) area with an older body that I can borrow for a few minutes?
Not sure if you have the time, but you could always phone Pro Photo Connection and see if you could borrow a pentax body for a second. They're based in Irvine.
Pro Photo Connection
17671 Fitch, Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 250-7073 (Think theyre closed on Sundays)

If I were back in OC, I would've definitely helped you out. Good luck!
08-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcphoto Quote
Not sure if you have the time, but you could always phone Pro Photo Connection and see if you could borrow a pentax body for a second. They're based in Irvine.
Pro Photo Connection
17671 Fitch, Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 250-7073 (Think theyre closed on Sundays)

If I were back in OC, I would've definitely helped you out. Good luck!
Excellent! I'll reach out to these guys and see what's available. They're literally down the street from me, so I can swing by there during lunch sometime this week!

Fingers crossed!
08-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would appear that the K100D is the camera model that UncleVanya uses for the conversion process. Check here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/311609-sal...nversions.html for additional info.
08-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

I beleive older models are required. My k20d did it no problem. The k5 is supposed to be able to do it too but I struggled and dug out my k20 a second time.
The thread on conversion is quite detailed but as noted really does take just minutes if you have the right body

08-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah - UncleVanya responded and indicated that he does it with a K100d.

I've started another thread in case there are OC users who would lend me their older body for a few minutes.

The thing is, SDM on my 16-50 still works - it's just slightly squeaky. Rather than risk failure at the last minute, I'd like to just convert now.
08-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No luck with Pro Photo Connection - they don't have any older Pentax bodies to use.