Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ME shutter failure

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just got an ME SE with brown leather and this thing is gorgeous! Everything seems to operate and function correctly except for the shutter. The meter works, frame counter, self timer, and even the shutter will fire on the mechanical speeds (125 and B). when I manipulate the aperture dial on the lens, the meter registers the change in shutter speed but the actual speed of the shutter does not change when fired. It seems stuck at the mechanical 1/125 second.

Since the exterior of the camera seems to be in near mint condition, I don't think the problem was caused by physical damage. I think that it might be something simple. Where should I start in trying to chase down the source of this malfunction?

08-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I just got an ME SE with brown leather and this thing is gorgeous! Everything seems to operate and function correctly except for the shutter. The meter works, frame counter, self timer, and even the shutter will fire on the mechanical speeds (125 and B). when I manipulate the aperture dial on the lens, the meter registers the change in shutter speed but the actual speed of the shutter does not change when fired. It seems stuck at the mechanical 1/125 second.

Since the exterior of the camera seems to be in near mint condition, I don't think the problem was caused by physical damage. I think that it might be something simple. Where should I start in trying to chase down the source of this malfunction?
I wonder if the battery is low.
08-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Brand new batteries. Edit: I had shot two rolls of 24 on these batteries in my MX so I decided to grab another set out of the package and all is well now. I guess the MX pulled more from the batteries than I thought it did. So, THANK YOU! My $23 ME SE with Soligor 70-150 f3.5 zoom works great and just needs the mirror buffer and probably light seals replaced to be like a new camera. It'll be going off to Eric on payday.

Last edited by ctrout; 08-28-2016 at 12:07 PM.
08-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Brand new batteries. Edit: I had shot two rolls of 24 on these batteries in my MX so I decided to grab another set out of the package and all is well now. I guess the MX pulled more from the batteries than I thought it did. So, THANK YOU! My $23 ME SE with Soligor 70-150 f3.5 zoom works great and just needs the mirror buffer and probably light seals replaced to be like a new camera. It'll be going off to Eric on payday.
Maybe this chap can advise: (you are probably aware that the ME and ME Super are of very similar construction).

A guide to the Pentax ME Super. Buying and Faults | eBay

---------- Post added 08-28-16 at 12:18 PM ----------

This may be of some value:
How To: Pentax Vertical Run Shutter Maintentance - Pick My Camera

08-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links. I've had three ME Supers over the years and never had a problem with any of them and it seems like batteries lasted for years in them. I got the ME because it was the brown SE version and I am more of a collector now and this piece will really set my collection off. I cleaned it up and aside from very light handling marks on the base plate, it truly does look brand new. I'll be picking up another package of batteries tonight and I'll put a roll of film through it in the coming week and see how it does. Once I send it off to Eric I'm sure it will come back to me as a nearly new machine with everything working as new.
08-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the links. I've had three ME Supers over the years and never had a problem with any of them and it seems like batteries lasted for years in them. I got the ME because it was the brown SE version and I am more of a collector now and this piece will really set my collection off. I cleaned it up and aside from very light handling marks on the base plate, it truly does look brand new. I'll be picking up another package of batteries tonight and I'll put a roll of film through it in the coming week and see how it does. Once I send it off to Eric I'm sure it will come back to me as a nearly new machine with everything working as new.
I am very pleased to hear that you will be using Eric's services. He fixed an ME Super for me: it's silky smooth, quiet and adorable. He is also very reasonable in his charges.
I am sure you will get a lot of pleasure from owning your ME!