Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two photos lost from first K-1 session

I used my new K-1 for three real estate jobs today. A very exciting experience! From the bigger viewfinder to the brighter rear screen, everything about the camera seemed designed to help with my work.

Only one problem. When I showed the agent my photos, she said I hadn’t gotten the downstairs bedroom. I was sure I’d done it, but I did it once more. Back home, two file numbers (Nos. 46 and 47 out of about 150) were missing, listed as "unable to import." And I remembered the camera locking up briefly, displaying an error message about being unable to write the file. I had to turn off the camera to clear it. Have you ever experienced this? I haven’t, with multiple cameras. I hesitate to declare the camera faulty at fault yet- on the first use, user error is always possible. But I’m thinking I ought to send this one back in favor of another.

08-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting. New or old card?
08-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you do an in-camera format before the shoot ?
I find this to be important as multiple or constant erasures of images to free space or empty a card (erase all) can clog up the file structure.
It is also possible, since it is a new camera to you that, inadvertently , you have loaded a card which was formatted by any of you previous model cams.

Cheers
08-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too found I had to format the cards in the camera to prevent the odd camera freeze.

08-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was a used card, but I formatted it in camera before use. That's my habit. I always format rather than delete.

Last edited by Wheatridger; 08-30-2016 at 11:22 PM.
08-31-2016, 02:18 AM   #6

steer clear of sandisk extreme and ultra cards, they are fast but die young and fail to often
samsung has issues too so another one to avoid
I use lexar pro uhs-1 cards cause they can be purchased in twin packs (i use both cards for recording in a sony FS-5 the joys of having dual sd slots)
also transend uhs-1 micro sd cards are extremely reliable as anyone with a dash cam would tell you
08-31-2016, 02:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For these sort of shoots I would go for duplicate RAW on both cards.

08-31-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try a new card before concluding anything.
08-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The card was a Lexar Platinum II. It was pretty old, with signs of wear. But I thought a card either worked or it didn't. I'll try something else today. I understand how using dual cards adds redundancy. It's just that with other cameras, most with single slots, I've never had this happen. It can't be a common problem. It does take away some of my trust in the K-1 -this one, anyway.

Last edited by Wheatridger; 08-31-2016 at 09:23 AM.
08-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
The card was a Lexar Platinum II. It was pretty old, with signs of wear. But I thought a card either worked or it didn't. I'll try something else today. I understand how using dual cards adds redundancy. It's just that with other cameras, most with single slots, I've never had this happen. It can't be a common problem. It does take away some of my trust in the K-1 -this one, anyway.
We have seen reports of single image failures on other models which generally were resolved by trashing the card and starting with a fresh one.

I say again, don't blame the K-1 until you know if this is a card issue. Also what a lot of people do is write RAW to one and JPG to the other. You may lose the RAW but you would still have an image to work from with very little penalty in terms of time/space.
09-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

The card was a Lexar Platinum II
if it predates the uhs standard then its really old (and most likely uses a micro controller based on a 8051 cmos) all the newer cards are using arm based controllers

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I say again, don't blame the K-1 until you know if this is a card issue. Also what a lot of people do is write RAW to one and JPG to the other. You may lose the RAW but you would still have an image to work from with very little penalty in terms of time/space.
like a high performance engine, the faster a card is the shorter its life span is gonna be

reminds me of a road safety advert - the faster you go, the bigger the mess
09-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Problem solved-- it was a bad card. Today I happened to put in in a different camera and got error messages on the first few shots. These SD cards are certainly reusable, but they do seem to wear out. Thanks for the good advice.
09-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

These SD cards are certainly reusable, but they do seem to wear out. Thanks for the good advice.
...and when they wear out it is not always an all-or-nothing case. There are limits as to how many times they can be formatted/written.

Steve