Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Will this affect operation?

I am buying a Q-S1 from someone, but after we agreed on the transaction, the seller informed me that there was a hairline crack in the door of the camera that they hadn't noticed before.

Can anyone tell me how this might affect the operation of the camera? (See picture below.) Supposedly it is "cosmetic only", but I don't know how the Q-S1 door is constructed to be able to judge if it will cause a problem or maybe get worse with usage.

Attached Images

09-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No so much the crack itself, which could be a non-issue if it still allows the door to close properly, but I'd be more worried about internal damage. It takes a good bit of impact to damage a door like that. If you're paying more than $50 for this, I'd pass.
09-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'd be concerned about how the crack got there. Did the camera hit the ground at some time? If so, is there some future trouble lurking in the camera?
09-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd steer clear. I've only used the Q10, and if I recollect properly, it wasn't overly flimsy. Whilst it might be just fine, it will affect the resale value, and worst case it will require a repair in 3/6/12 months. At the very least it indicates that the camera has taken a fairly substantial whack at some point, which may have resulted in other as yet unseen damage.

09-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will only get worse. Plenty of Q's on the market, I'd skip that one.
09-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It will only get worse. Plenty of Q's on the market, I'd skip that one.
Agreed. That had to have taken a good hit/fall to damage it like that. The crack might be the least of the problems that could show up. It also looks like a small crack at the top of the picture of the door frame!

Hard to believe the owner wasn't aware of this damage, before.
09-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The possible additional damage due to the force required to cause that crack is a good point. Thanks everyone!