Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

How to take B&W pictures with Pentax K-r

I am new to this camera. Can anyone advise me on how to set up the K-r camera for B&W photography?
Thanks.

09-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One of the custom image settings is monochrome IIRC, but as I'm sure many others will suggest, shooting in raw and tweaking the results in Lightroom would give you greater control....
09-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital filter - monochrome. P255, user manual.
09-01-2016, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Turn the camera on. You'll probably see something similar to this on the rear screen.

Press the info button on the rear of the camera. The screen will change to this. The icon in the upper left may not show BW but that is the icon you want highlighted in green as shown.

If the icon in the upper left in not highlighted in green as this image shows, use the wb or iso buttons to highlight that icon. The second line above that icon will tell you what mode the camera is in. (In this case, it is monochrome.) Once that icon is highlighted in green press the OK button. This screen will appear.

The shooting mode now appears in the upper right corner. Use the wb or iso buttons to change the mode. When you have the mode you want selected press the ok button and then press the info button.

09-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
With all you guidance I found the monochrome setting! It seems pretty simple, once you know how. Thanks for your help!
09-01-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All very well, but to reiterate what robthebloke said, you will get much better results by shooting RAW and then choosing your B&W settings in postprocessing. For example, that gives you the option of selecting red, green, yellow, ... digital filters to get very different results.