Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Chinon MC f2.8 135mm Lens Pentax K mount, Tripod Ring Mount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I've just bought a Chinon MC F2.8 135mm lens Pentax K mount, I'm looking for a tripod mount ring for it. It would need to be about 55mm inner diameter. Thanks for any help.

Chinon MC f2.8 135mm Lens Pentax K mount | eBay

09-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

I've never heard of a tripod mount being used with such a compact lens; normally you would only use a tripod ring mount with larger lenses to assist in balancing the setup, and to avoid unnecessary strain on the camera's lens mount.

Is there a particular reason why you're looking to use one?
09-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with BigMacCam on this. Most times a tripod ring is designed into the lens somehow. Here, this bugger is so small I don't know where you would put it! Please take some images with it and post them, maybe even do a review of it, in the lenses area. I like the look of this lens, great price too!
09-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It's being used for astrophotography, so it has to be mounted to a dovetail bar like this:

Skywatcher Dovetail Mounting Plates | First Light Optics

That then fits to my astronomical mounting/tripod. The cam it's being used with is tiny so I would have to mount the lens to the dovetail bar using a tube ring mount, I just can't find one in the right size.

09-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #5

Might need it if using with a Q of course...
09-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cuivenion Quote
Thanks for the replies. It's being used for astrophotography, so it has to be mounted to a dovetail bar like this:

Skywatcher Dovetail Mounting Plates | First Light Optics

That then fits to my astronomical mounting/tripod. The cam it's being used with is tiny so I would have to mount the lens to the dovetail bar using a tube ring mount, I just can't find one in the right size.
Understood, but I think you'd have a problem mounting that lens with a collar... I don't see anywhere on the lens barrel - except a very thin section where the aperture markings are - where you could attach it. Almost all of of the lens is taken up by the focus ring. Do you see what I mean?

Out of interest, what's the camera you're using? I assume you're using a Pentax K mount adapter for it, and it may be possible to mount a collar of some sort to that... or alternatively use some sort of riser plate on the base of the camera...
09-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
Might need it if using with a Q of course...
... and hence why the official Q-for-K-mount adapter has a tripod foot attachment option Some of the third party adapters do also...

09-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If it's for panos or video, then pano and video heads are already designed to be adjustable on the longitudinal axis to allow for precise placement of the lens nodal point in relation to the head, or balance of the equipment in the case of video.
09-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi, once the lens shade is pushed out there's a 1.4cm gap between the end of the focus travel and the lens shade, I thought this might be enough room but maybe not. This is the adapter:

Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, for Pentax K, PK mount: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

and this is the camera:

GPCAM AR0130C COLOUR HD Planetary Camera Auto Guider - Altair Astro

I was also thinking about mounting on the adapter but space seems a bit scarce there too, also the lens will be the heaviest part, it'd be great if I could support the whole setup from there.
09-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, I understand better now... and what a cool camera that Altair is!

In the circumstances, I can't think of any collar that would work. How about mounting the Altair cam to the tripod with this: Altair GPCAM Mounting Clamp Tripod Dovetail Tube Rings - Altair Astro - the combined weight of the 135mm f/2.8 and adapter is unlikely to put any strain on the camera; lenses like that are pretty light.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-01-2016 at 03:19 PM.
09-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
It is a nifty little thing isn't it, I did think about that clap,but I was worried about clearance for the lens (it's quite a bit wider that the cam). Looking at it again I should be able to mahe it work though. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 03:14 PM ----------

Sorry for the spelling, wouldn't let me edit!
09-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cuivenion Quote
Hi, once the lens shade is pushed out there's a 1.4cm gap between the end of the focus travel and the lens shade, I thought this might be enough room but maybe not. This is the adapter:

Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, for Pentax K, PK mount: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

and this is the camera:

GPCAM AR0130C COLOUR HD Planetary Camera Auto Guider - Altair Astro

I was also thinking about mounting on the adapter but space seems a bit scarce there too, also the lens will be the heaviest part, it'd be great if I could support the whole setup from there.
Shiny... me want!
10-07-2016, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Here's some pics taken with this setup, not the best, but I am still a beginner. Andromeda had an hours worth of 1 minute exposures, orion nebula had about 30 minutes.

Andromeda Galaxy

Orion Nebula

Last edited by cuivenion; 10-07-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Mistake
10-07-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They look great to me - nice job!

If you're getting those kind of results as a beginner, I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can produce over time.

Thanks for sharing