Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to make a video?

I am putting this up in the beginner's forum because I have never in my life made a video of any kind. With that in mind please don't get too technical with me

I am thinking of making a video for youtube. Probably 5 minutes or less in length.

I would assume just like anything else that lighting is going to be my key. Once I get the light right (just like with a still) that will have the greatest impact of how things work out. I imagine just like with regular photography the type of light matters just as much as how much light there is.

I do have a friend that is a professional video maker....two of them in fact... but one lives in Hawaii and one lives in Washington so they can only give me tips from afar. They might (note the word MIGHT) assist me later with editing but I doubt it since they both do this stuff for a living and they are both far away.

I don't have a studio or anyone to assist me with my video making. I could do the video indoors or outdoors either one. The nature of the video is outdoors/sporting type stuff related. (I can share more if you want)

I have a good tripod and an assortment of lenses that would be more than sufficient and I am currently using a K3.

I don't even know what format the K3 will spit images out in.... so that if I get other people to help me edit the raw footage or even if they can help direct me to free editing software that will help.

Other things would be how long can the K3 shoot video for in one uninterrupted shot before it needs to be turned off or whatever and what kind of file size would I wind up with if I did that? (would 32GB be enough?)

As far as the audio goes is there a cheap way to plug in a mic so that I can record audio?

Basically I am a complete noob to this front so I want to know what I would be getting into with all this...

09-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I could do the video indoors or outdoors either one. The nature of the video is outdoors/sporting type stuff related. (I can share more if you want).
Please do.

You are already aware of one thing, which is lighting. There's a couple other things to keep in mind though, like audio. The more we know, the better we can help you.
09-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as the audio goes is there a cheap way to plug in a mic so that I can record audio?
The K-3 has a mic port. Get a shotgun mic and you should be all set

I don't even know what format the K3 will spit images out in.... so that if I get other people to help me edit the raw footage or even if they can help direct me to free editing software that will help.
The K-3 produces .MOV files in the very common H.264 codec, so just about anything will be able to open them. If you want to keep things simple, use a simple video editor such as windows movie maker. It can actually help you accomplish most everyday editing needs

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How to make a video?
Hi alamo. I found this " How to " video on guess where.................You tube !!! Hope it gives you some tips. Good luck.

09-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Top Tip #1
DO NOT USE MOVIE SR!!

Other tips would be to dial the contrast right down and also the sharpness. You can also keep saturation low.
These three things will give the process less work and give you more to work with in post because h265 is a very lossy compression codec that doesn't give you much room for editing without destroying your footage.

If PiDicus Rex sees this thread he'll give you tips worth noting, he uses Pentax gear for some of his professional filming..

WMM is ok, but better is ShotCut. It's free opensource and outputs very clean files.

https://www.shotcut.org/
09-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 has a mic port. Get a shotgun mic and you should be all set
What is a shotgun mic? LOL (I know! I know!) Stupid question but any ideas of a cheap one? I might only use the thing once so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it until I am more sure of if I am going to pursue video more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Please do.

You are already aware of one thing, which is lighting. There's a couple other things to keep in mind though, like audio. The more we know, the better we can help you.
Yes lighting is huge. I have become phobic about light in my stills photography so actually I think that part will come kind of more naturally. (I guess that means I'm getting better at photography)

As far as the subject matter of the video along with other very expensive hobbies I am also very much into shooting sports. Between photography, travel, and shooting, all I need to do is take up polo and flying to round out my list of expensive hobbies that drain my wallet. Maybe I could add in race car driving or a few other things.

Anyway as I said it's about firearms but I will get more specific. There is a HUGE amount of completely misinformation about suppressors (silencers) out there, how they work, what they or for, why you need one, can you own one, what kind is best for me, and so on and so forth.

Basically yes they are very legal to own. Something like 2 million plus of them were sold to private citizens last year alone and it's increasing like 50% per year every year. I think at last count 42 or 43 states are 100% legal for silencer ownership and use, on the flip side that leaves only 7 or 8 states where you can't possess them (based on local law), but on federal law they are 100% good to go.

Long story short I want to do a video review of one of mine, why it's good, why I chose it, what kind of considerations to take for buying one, does it have an effect on the accuracy of the firearm, and basically pontificate about the subject.

I also might rant a little bit about how most of the misinformation about what they are and all that. I can go extremely in depth into the subject but it's more or less about that subject.

Here is a video from a few years ago about a totally different subject (still firearm related) but I like the format of it. I don't care for the skull stuff and the other props but I would like to do something a bit like this.

Here is one that I REALLY like even more by a professional shooter (a former Olympian)

I really REALLY like the second video even more than the first. I have all good stuff to say about this one....

Between those two I would say 75% second video and 25% first video....
09-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I could make a video (or have someone help me to make a video) that was as nice as that second video I would be overjoyed.... OMG... I am thinking more like 90% second and 10% first...LOL
09-04-2016, 03:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 2 cents, practice a lot before you shoot in anger, prepare a script or at least a storyboard to figure out what story you want your video to tell, find out how your camera responds to changes in lighting ( my experience with Pentax video is not good in this area),
and practice a lot.

09-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What is a shotgun mic? LOL (I know! I know!) Stupid question but any ideas of a cheap one? I might only use the thing once so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it until I am more sure of if I am going to pursue video more.
something like this:

Polsen Polsen VM-101 Video/DSLR Camera Mounted Microphone VM-101

It's basically a directional mic that mainly picks up what's in front of it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-04-2016, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
My 2 cents, practice a lot before you shoot in anger, prepare a script or at least a storyboard to figure out what story you want your video to tell, find out how your camera responds to changes in lighting ( my experience with Pentax video is not good in this area),
and practice a lot.
Absolutely...script and storyboard and scene description trump camera work and comprise most of the time/effort involved in production. Oh, yeah...post-production tooooooo...

Steve
09-05-2016, 01:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hoo boy, that's a pretty high standard to aim for in your first ever video. First thing you'll need is a tripod or another person - for the shots containing you (in your example video, all of the shots of the girl are with someone holding the camera). You could do everything with just a 35mm or 50mm lens, depending on how much space you have available.

Then record a bunch of B-roll (close-ups, detail shots, etc.) which you will talk over. If you will be explaining the development and history, grab images and videos from the internet (4k Video Downloader to get 1080p footage). Check out Forgotten Weapons and C&Rsenal, that's a style similar to what you want to do.

I would actually go for a lavalier microphone as opposed to a shotgun. It's a small mic you clip or pin to your shirt collar and being so close to your mouth means, in effect, you won't have as much background noise. Cheapo shotguns suffer from that and expensive shotguns are, well, expensive.

One last thing, keep it as short as possible. Don't ramble too much, cut out fluff, but a joke or two can help a lot. Keep in mind people are less likely to watch a longer video from an unknown source (if it's short and shit, hey you wasted 5min, not half an hour).
Hope this helps
09-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Hoo boy, that's a pretty high standard to aim for in your first ever video. First thing you'll need is a tripod or another person - for the shots containing you (in your example video, all of the shots of the girl are with someone holding the camera). You could do everything with just a 35mm or 50mm lens, depending on how much space you have available.

Then record a bunch of B-roll (close-ups, detail shots, etc.) which you will talk over. If you will be explaining the development and history, grab images and videos from the internet (4k Video Downloader to get 1080p footage). Check out Forgotten Weapons and C&Rsenal, that's a style similar to what you want to do.

I would actually go for a lavalier microphone as opposed to a shotgun. It's a small mic you clip or pin to your shirt collar and being so close to your mouth means, in effect, you won't have as much background noise. Cheapo shotguns suffer from that and expensive shotguns are, well, expensive.

One last thing, keep it as short as possible. Don't ramble too much, cut out fluff, but a joke or two can help a lot. Keep in mind people are less likely to watch a longer video from an unknown source (if it's short and shit, hey you wasted 5min, not half an hour).
Hope this helps
It is a very high standard. I am pretty confident that I could get something done, but maybe not quite as perfect. I have a tripod for sure but no one else to say hold the camera for me or whatever. That said I have some ideas for making the video that won't require it as much.

I am going to go around and take some test video and see what I can figure out and look at the quality of it on my screen. I don't know how to do voice overs and all that either so it's just a bit of unknown that makes me nervous. That said, what the hey why not try. I also don't know how to do things like add a sound track. If you watch the video of the girl she has music playing in the background.

I think the concept behind my video is solid for sure though.

As a back up I still do have other options. I could take my rifle and silencer to somewhere else (a studio) that has all the stuff...that might work but I don't want to be paying an arm and a leg. Another option is that I know a local university to me has a really good program in news reporting which I think also has I think a major in film. I think I could easily go on campus and recruit a couple people to help me, and by help me I mean do it for me.

It's taken me a few years already to make half decent stills so I don't know why I should expect awesome stuff right out of the box making video.

I have already started on a sort of a script but the information I want to portray is so nuanced it's easier to tell it than write it all down.

But what I am going to do though is scout a location in my back yard somewhere and do some practice videos. I guess that's the only place to start.... get that right first then start trying to worry about audio and sound tracks later.... I think I am overwhelming myself to be honest.