Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Battery issue

I have a K-5, great camera, use a lot and have two Pentax rechargeable DLI90 batteries that I've used since 2011. I have one in my attached battery grip, the other in the body. This way when one runs out, the other is ready to go.

The other night I noted that one battery would only charge (green light) showing for a couple of minutes then the green light would go off. I tried a number of times, including taking the battery out of the charger and reinstalling . Same pattern...green charging light on....then off.

As it happened my other K-5 battery had run out of power, so I put it on the charger. Green charging light remained on for some hours, eventually went out and battery was fully charged. Charger and second battery performed charging as they always have in the past. Normal.

As a result, I'm guessing that the first battery will no longer take a charge. Correct or do you think there is an issue with the charger ?

Me, myself, I'm fairly sure it's that the first battery will not hold a charge and that the charger is ok as it fully charges the second battery. But in case I'm missing something, could it be something else, before I order a new DLI90 battery ?

I believe that the Pentax DLI90 battery is the specified battery for the K1. Good, as if I ever get a K-1, I will have a spare battery.

What are your thoughts on my battery....or possibly charger issue ?

09-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the first battery I would try cleaning the contacts on it with a pencil eraser, brushing the contacts free of any eraser bits before attempting another charging session. Sometimes cleaning them causes better contact.
09-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The other night I noted that one battery would only charge (green light) showing for a couple of minutes then the green light would go off.
Have you tried this battery in the camera to see if it was actually discharged? A short period and then shut off could also mean the battery was already charged when you put it in the charger.

If it shows as depleted in the camera then try @Photolady95 suggestion and if that doesn't work I would say, time for a new battery. Not sure what the actual lifespan of these batteries is, but it is not infinite.
09-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
measure the voltages (between the + and - contacts); this should give you an indication of whether the battery is charged or not.

---------- Post added 09-06-16 at 03:44 PM ----------

if both are good they should show same voltage

09-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

They do wear out, and not necessarily at the same time.
09-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for your excellent suggestions. I will try those steps. Again thank you for your common sense advice.
09-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Make sure the battery is inserted correctly into the charger and that the contacts are clean. Pentax batteries that I have had have not given up after years of use.
09-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Same thing happened to me just now. One of 5 or 6 D-Li90 batteries I have. Though its not the Pentax brand, it's Pearstone. Fairly sure its time to send it to recycling. All other batteries OK. It shows fully charged but goes flat very quickly after using in camera.

After a couple of minutes or less the camera stops working and a voltage check of the battery shows zero charge. Battery now in the recycling bin.

Last edited by beachboy2; 09-07-2016 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Update